Good build for a university student

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a few suggestions, I am currently in University and have a year left so I am looking for a cheap bookshelf speaker build. I enjoy doing things hands on so I have no problem building my own boxes but would like a set of plans so I don’t have to find the perfect enclosure size.

The speakers will be used for my TV in my bedroom. I am in Canada as well so being able to buy more locally would be great.

Thanks for your input!

Loads of knowledgable folk round here who will come up with good suggestions but you could check out the planet10 website (google planet 10 hifi", they have a great box plan library and are on here all the time in fact will probably answer you soon from what I have seen.

The fonken range seem to be very good and there is loads of info on hear about them.

Have fun

Iain

If you have the tools I agree with above. A miniFonken should meet the need of nearfield computer use.

I have personally gotten away from trying to listen to little speakers up close.

Depending on your room size budget and tools ( have some of these problems) simple large enclosures can be made with home store
parts.

Example:

Glued up shelving 12 in 6ft in the shrink wrap (no cutting)
can be used for side panels. Internals of a BIB (see long thread
here which begins Terry Cains BIB....) can be gotten with 2 8ft
lengths of particle board. at $& USD each This is enough for the front, back and internal divider. The width has to be trimmed. But one back and one divider can come out of a single piece. I'm doing this now.

Small cabinets will save on lumber and there are premade kits
at parts express. But if you want a build, the BIB will be more satisfying for the effort with minimal tools and setups.

As a University student, and a DIY Audio-er, I am a self-appointed expert!

the one advantage of having an extremely small dorm room is that a low power SET will sound amazing in it!

I took my EL34 SET to my dorm room with my JBL e60s, I have since turned the e60s into my trinary speakers, I built a pair of the Fostex 127e Bi-poles , and they sound amazing, and will sound really nice in any medium to large sized room. In a medium room, and SET will drive them nicely.

I also have a pair of Magnaplanar SMGs, but those have never made it to school, they need a huge room and 100+watts to "sing".

The problem with any full range design is that sub woofer is almost a necessity, which will **** off neighbors, RAs, and roommates.

as for doing things cheap, don't cut so many corners that quality goes down, its not worth it. make sure you have 100 extra dollars in the budget for things you didn't think of....

Take your time, and make something that people will appreciate, so you're not seen as a total nerd.

-Moose

I guess it all depends what you may be looking for.. I'm assuming that you want to go the single driver route and the fe127 drivers are well under $200 http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=131&products_id=269

That Fonken enclosure would test your skills somewhat and also sound purdy darn good ta boot:cool: Plus rather than being another of about a gazillion cookie cutter ported boxes, this one is actually way more interesting IMO as it thinks outside the box so to speak. http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html

Maybe if Dave or Chris see this they'll give you some advice, (I'm not a speaker designer) but for a small single driver enclosure and for under a $100 in drivers this one is pretty sweet for what it is.. Dave:)

A dorm/small room friendly computer /TV monitor sized speaker such as the middle design from the Fonken series (mFonken) would make sense to me.

When circumstances (space and budget) permit, you can add a pair of powered woofers designed as speaker stands. With the FE127E rolled off between 120 -150HZ, the heavy lifting of the bottom couple of octaves is eliminated and both the midrange quality and effective power handling are improved substantially.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/mFonken-0v999-map.pdf

not a difficult build - the chamfered vertical front edges are more than just aesthetic, but not mandatory. If you can't use BB plywood, use either particleboard or even solid pine rather than MDF,

tilroh said:

I've always liked the looks of this. And the construction page shows a llot of detail.

But the TB require to much power for up close listening. I have the TB's and they are on the shelf-- for sale if you want 'em.

But back to the brick. Any of the Fostex will work better than TB 871.
Higher efficiency means more at lower volume-- or that's my experience anyway.

Another idea to consider was something I did when starting the
hobby: take the 4" FE127e and put it in a mini cabinet with an open back. I had the minis from a shelf system, took out what was in there and blew the back off. That was my first use of single driver speaks. This idea was suggested to me by GM. So there were
4 in speakers in small boxes on stands.

Also I recall that the TB's had a project in Speakerbuilder mag where
open back boxes were used for a whole series of builds. Apparently
open back was a valid consideration for a speaker that small. With open back and sitting close you can pick up some loading off the
wall. That design had slanted fronts to sit on desktop

Hi Russel ,

What are you expecting from these "bookshelf" speakers as far as :

1. Size
2. SPL output
3. Frequency response
4. Cost
5. Anything else ?

Are you planning on running a sub ?

What are your source and amplification ?

The more info you give us will help us give you a better answer.

....................................Blake

New Tang Band Midbass "Fullrange" drivers

4" Model :
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-872

5" Model :
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-873

6" Model :
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-874

They are about as fullrange as any of the other TB drivers, except for perhaps the Bamboo drivers.

I am happy to see the long Xmax , low moving mass , linear impedence , cast frame , and good high frequency extension .

Look to be very nice drivers.

Wonder how they sound ?

If you don't require shielded magnets, and can drive a 4 ohm load , these might be worth a shot.

..................................Blake

What are you using to power the speakers ? Is it 4 ohm capable ? Will you be using a sub ?

http://partsexpress.com/pdf/264-872s.pdf

This driver gets my vote.

Simple ported cabinet of about 7.5 Litres (.26 cu.ft.) will get you a port tuning of 55Hz , it has good Xmax (cone excursion) for a 4" unit, and good high frequency extension.

Low Impedence peak at resonance and at high frequencies make this an easier load to drive than alot of other drivers.

Open cast frame is yet another good feature.

86db 1W/1M means it will play fairly loud.

Can someone please show me a 4-4.5" driver that looks as good as this one does on paper ? :dodgy:

I'm almost tempeted to buy some , although the last thing I need is MORE speakers........

........................................Blake

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.