FR125 in octaeder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a small (4 liter) ocateder shaped pair of loudspeakers with the FR125 for my daughter (11 years old).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The cabinets are aperiodically damped, I used a small BR pipe and filled it tight with BAF.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

After first listning I decided that a notch filter would improve the sound
R=4.7ohm, L=0.56mH, C=22uF resulted in a nice flat response.

and the sound: wel simply very good! the high end is excelent for a 4" FR, but bundling is a lot more that e.g. a 3" Tangband. the low end, despite having a f3 of ~100Hz, is still tjhat of a larger box.

all in all I am rather pleased with the result (although the paint job could have been better)

adason said:
than you have to built them yourself and hear for yourself :)
even detailed analysis is somebody else's opinion
individual opinions vary
and besides that, I'm not very good in highendish ;) but I'll give it a try then

bass is "just right", absolutely not boomy, but certainly present (as in not absent). of course the lowest octave is not there, and big drums are softer than usual.

high is nicely detailed without any sharpness. off axis it gets softer, bundling is of course an issue with this size FR

tonal balance is (with the notch filter) excelent, instruments and voices sound very natural.

and the soundstage, well it's a fullranger, it does what you expect it to do... only the best multiway speakers can come close to this.

MarkR said:
Just curious if you managed to snap any pics of the build process?
:ashamed: we were so busy builbing that we forgot to take pictures... but the general process was we laid the 8 triangles on the floor (the side which is to become the outside on the floor), used tape to stick them together, then applied the glue and closed the box, the tape acting as glueclamp. the hole for the driver was routed afterwards, as we wanted to pick the best looking side as front.

key to success with this form this is acurate sawing, very accurate sawing....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.