Cabinet solutions to tame a wooden cone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Folks,

I recently returned from Hong Kong with some old wide range "test" drivers that Brian Cherry of DIYHiFi Supply was clearing out. None match the smooth qualities of his own design, the Neo-fone.

One pair of "test" drivers differ substantially. They have harsh sounding wood cones and they are highly directional. Move off-axis and the sound falls away quickly. It occurs to me that these issues can be addressed, if not cured, through the use of a carefully designed enclosure.

The question is, which cabinet design would be most effective? So far I've considered, after a BR, MLTL's, Onken's, & the Metronome, and I have a sneeking suspicion a horn design might tame both the wooden cone's harshness and directionality. Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge or experience of horns. I'm also slightly worried I might not have the skill to build a complex design. Not in less than a year. I would really appreciate some guidance on an appropriate cabinet, preferably something relatively straightforward to build.

The driver spec sheet is attached. For those not logged in the driver parameters are:

8 Ohm
Min.Freq.Response: 70Hz
Repro.Freq.Response: FO~12K
S.P.L. 88.926 dB/W(m)
Rated Input: 20W
Equiv.Diaphram Radius: 43mm
Equiv.Mass: 5.349g
Magnet Weight: 500g
Net Weight: 1065g
Fs: 70.29Hz
Re: 6.2 Ohm
Mms: 5.753 g
BL: 5.398 TM
Qts: 0.479
Qms: 4.186
Qes: 0.541
Vas: 7.898 Ltr
Xmax: 2mm
no: 0.491%
VC dia.: 1"

I plan to drive the speakers, paired with Fostex supertweeters, with a LM3886 chip amp. Your suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,

James

Attachments

• hr124b8-10lcompressed.jpg
    hr124b8-10lcompressed.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 127
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.