About the Visaton BG 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2008, 06:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default About the Visaton BG 20

Hello,

I'm planning to build a pair of push-pull speakers using the Visaton BG 20 speakers (two for each enclosure). I think they are the perfect candidates. Although worse than the B200 full-range, they are lots cheaper, what makes them the perfect candidates. Thus they make cheaper Hi-Fi system. What do you think?

Should I wire them in parallel or in series? I think that when wired in parallel the result is better, since the impedance of one wont affect the other, promoting electrical symmetry and making a much better error correction.
Old 22nd May 2008, 08:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to technofreak
Hi,

For the money they're good. I use them in similar configuration to yours (not push-pull, though). Wire them parallel and add 1,5 mH inductor in series with one so that frequencies above ~1 kHz are reproduced only by one driver - reduces comb filtering and smooths the rising response above 1 kHz. Enclosure is 60 liters bassreflex tuned to 45 Hz. Goes down to ~40...50 Hz, though need some boost around 80 Hz. In smallish rooms they'll go louder than tolerable and sound quite nice (though they have quite high harmonic distortion from ~300 Hz to a few kHz or so - not audible with music whatsoever (only with sinewaves), actually I think that this distortion gives them somewhat this "oldschool" warm fullranger sound).
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by technofreak
Wire them parallel and add 1,5 mH inductor in series with one so that frequencies above ~1 kHz are reproduced only by one driver - reduces comb filtering and smooths the rising response above 1 kHz.
Wouldn't that be undesirable in a push-pull configuration? I mean, above 1KHz there is no error compensation at all, since only one driver is playing. The push-pull configuration aims to lower distortion caused in a situation of a similar single driver. The drivers counteract in order to correct the errors of each other.
Old 23rd May 2008, 06:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to technofreak
The thing is, push-pull's ability to reduce distortion decreases while frequency increases - generaly it works best up to about few hundred Hz, no more. At higher frequencies copper shorting rings work best. If BG20 has them, I don't no. Probably not.

Hide this!Advertise here!