Possible enclosures for a Monacor SPH 60X

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Progress

I got around to placing both drivers on the front baffle. The sound is improved but the balance is still off.

In the photo the Monacors are next to the little Karlsonators with CHR70s, driven by Amp Camp amps, a nice combo. The little Karlsonators are much more efficient and surprisingly have more punch! The ACA with B1 buffer is not powerful enough to drive the Monacors to decent levels, may need more gain.

I believe the speakers still need an inductor to roll off the top driver. Will need to calculate that when I get some time.

IMGDEAD]

Yeah, that's a pretty big gap between them, so not surprised one needs rolling off, though I prefer to add damping over the driver to roll it off rather than a power sapping inductor and cheaper too ;). If it reduces low bass output too much I just tune it higher.

Not surprised, BP alignments can make significant gain over a narrow BW.

GM

I place the lower driver as per your suggestion, .354 IIRC. So just some wool felt or such on top of the higher driver? Why would that affect its low bass output?

Thanks!

Yeah, that's a pretty big gap between them, so not surprised one needs rolling off, though I prefer to add damping over the driver to roll it off rather than a power sapping inductor and cheaper too ;). If it reduces low bass output too much I just tune it higher.

Not surprised, BP alignments can make significant gain over a narrow BW.

GM

Hi Pico. I believe this is what I asked about in post #69. It looks interesting but I think for now I will just follow GM's suggestion (never a bad thing!) and damp the top driver. The large caps are not cheap, probably better spent on better drivers or something not speaker related even!:)

You can put the drivers in series connection and put a capacitor across one.
It will perform a roll-on on the treble ( to the other driver).

Impedance will double and output power will be less:eek:
but you might give it a try...

rolling off driver

After receiving some cheap inductors and resistors I having been playing around with rolling off the top driver for the last few weeks. I have achieved decent results with my chip amp and YJ TPA3116d2 using nearly 6dbs of baffle step correction (3.0 mH inductor, 7.5 ohm resistor). In my calculation I have inputted the 8ohm resistance of the driver I am rolling off not the 4ohm of the 2drivers parallel, not sure if this is correct.

Is the baffle step correction calculated the same way when using a current source amp, i.e. my F2? Is this wired the same way? I tried it and didn't hear any rolloff. I was debating whether to start a new thread but I hope I will get a response here.

Last edited:
Thanks hm, but it is too big and complicated, Ebay design is much simpler, they are all right angles, it is much easier to build.

The features of the Monacor SPH-60X and those of the Fostex FX120 seem quite close. Please, could someone tell me if can be use the box design of the FX120 with the SPH-60X. Thanks:

https://www.monacor.com/en-cz/monac...technology/hi-fi-full-range-speakers/sph-60x/

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-fullrange/fostex-fx120-5-full-range/

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.