Possible enclosures for a Monacor SPH 60X

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, the 60X sims 'close enough' for me in a variety of 40-1354 cabs and based on a conversation I had with Scott awhile back about the Monacor's mids/HF performance it 'sounds' like it has a bit higher audible SQ with enough extra HF extension to possibly not need a super tweeter, so wish they were readily available in the USA at a similar price as I have an old 40-1354 tower design (aka MLTL) that requires no BSC once toe'd in ~the same as Jordan recommends for his JX92S.

GM

You're welcome!

AFAIK, none of these will have much real bass extension without either BSC or near boundary loading. At best they only give a mid-bass 'bump' which in the early days of HIFI was considered 'bass'. With today's wide BW systems with real bass though, you run the risk of overdriving the speakers even at low average SPL if not protected by what we called a 'rumble' filter back in the early days to protect speakers against turntable (TT) 'rumble', so to acoustically do the same thing either sealed or ~aperiodic is the way to go, making a Fonken alignment an obvious choice.

There's not many 'free lunches' in audio, it's usually all about balancing trade-offs.

GM

Mmm. You beat me to it Bob. Kind of falls under the definition of tradeoffs Greg mentioned, don't you reckon? ;)

Frankly, short of doing something that really wouldn't be a good idea for a first project, I'd be inclined to slap them into a simple BIB, MLTL or similar with the requisite correction, as suggested above. It's a really nice driver for the money, the Monacor. Bit of a pain to get hold of, even here in the UK, but it can give some more expensive gear a heck of a fright.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.