diyAudio (
-   Full Range (
-   -   drawing freeware??? (

aardvarkash10 14th May 2008 10:46 AM

drawing freeware???
Hi all - can anyone recommend some low level CAD drawing software for designing speaker boxes? I've looked at a couple but they seem either too complex and bloatware-ish, or aimed at wannbe interior designers. Recommendations please...

AndrewT 14th May 2008 11:06 AM

but it's not free.

Bob Brines 14th May 2008 02:17 PM

If you are not familiar with CAD, ANY CAD program is going to have a steep learning curve. I am happy with TurboCAD, but it's not free either.

MJL21193 14th May 2008 02:30 PM

Sketchup is pretty good and fairly easy to learn. Lots of tutorials and ready made models available.
Free too.

gurley123 14th May 2008 02:40 PM

I second google sketch-up. I'm having a ball with it.

Just for fun you can also download Inkscape and Gimp and draw cool pictures. Not very usefull for designing cabs, but I like them. They are kinda like a freeware Illustrator and Photoshop.

Harderror 14th May 2008 03:20 PM

I used Sketchup to create all my SPQR designs thus far, I can vouch for it's accuracy and ease of use.

EEatKSU 14th May 2008 08:01 PM

Google sketchup is fairly easy to learn, and free.

Ron E 15th May 2008 02:53 AM

ProgeCAD has a free version called ProgeCAD Smart or something like that. It is free and not very crippled, if you want a 2D package. ProgeCAD is a clone of AutoCAD, and shares a near identical user interface.

For a 3D package, Sketchup is the way to go, although you can do wireframe/surface modeling in ProgeCAD.

planet10 15th May 2008 05:05 AM

Originally posted by Ron E
ProgeCAD is a clone of AutoCAD, and shares a near identical user interface.
That would be a good reason to put it at the bottom of the short-list.

Sketch-up is very good for what it does, it is kind of awkward for doing dimensionally accurate drawings. I usually start with a simplified set of the 2D shapes imported in from VectorWorks (a 1st class CAD program, and cheap for what it does, but certainly not free)

Floric 15th May 2008 08:46 AM

For 2D drawings and constructions I use qcad. In my opinion a good program. It is available for Linux and for windows and there is a community edition licensed under the GPL which can be easily compiled under Linux (with a little effort on Windows too). For the Professional edition they charge 24.

Best regards