Mileva plan page - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2008, 06:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mileva plan page

I have just looked for the Mileva plan and navigated through
the TL site and found the link. But the plan is not available.

No rush on this, I just wanted to see some measurements.

The Mileva build thread is very good on this. Would like to see a listening update as well.

The all time champ is still the BIB with FE127e. The Mileva will be a challenge for what woodworking I can do.
Old 13th May 2008, 08:13 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Mileva plan page

contact Dave directly for plans for Mileva and/or Demetri
Old 13th May 2008, 08:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, there's a link that's just not active. Some of the Frugal and Spawn pages have been under construction I guess.

How wide is the Mileva?

I'm considering what I can build out of things I have on hand.
Old 13th May 2008, 08:57 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loninappleton
Well, there's a link that's just not active. Some of the Frugal and Spawn pages have been under construction I guess.

there's actually another reason for the crippled link.

Quote:

How wide is the Mileva?

I'm considering what I can build out of things I have on hand.
317mm (~12.5") with 15mm plywood - I added an extra layer to the top and side panels to all for cosmetic chamfer - so the final dimension was 347mm (~13 5/8")
Old 13th May 2008, 11:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Would that reason be the same for the bipole Fonkens? Very interested in building a pair. I believe that Scott and Dave may have been revising the plan.?
Old 14th May 2008, 03:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Full disclosure on this:

I considered the Mileva build for what variations and enhancements it might give to the GM MLTL. My BIB is overpowering the MLTL.

Some here know that I do these builds one at a time and use them
asymetrically.

Now for the disclosure part: the Harvey is just not producing much besides what comes out of the small BR chamber. With additional materials I maybe could squeeze two Milevas out of the side panels
and some other stuff for the insides.

In A/B tests the BIB is all around better than the Harvey. Others may be having better results. There's the possibility that my hearing isn't the best as well. I had fun with the intricacy of the Harvey build last Winter. It was pretty involved. But for soundstage or double horn bass fullness, the BIB does it, but the Harvey just doesn't sing.

I'm not sure about a Mileva build either. Perhaps something other will come along.

The BIB has the fullness and the MLTL has the precision. Size versus agility? Hard to pinpoint how I listen to these.

I've always liked the VTL "look" but don't know how the Milevas are doing in the field. The Mileva build log thread has not been active in a while.
Old 14th May 2008, 03:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Loninappleton,

1. Do you think the differences between the BiB and Harvey can be explained by the loading / placement? In other words, is your BiB(s) perhaps taking advantage of the corner / ceiling whereas your Harvey(s) might be out in the room a bit more?

2. Please pardon my ignorance but can one use a BSC with the Harvey? I have found one to be effective though I realize not all designs require them.
Old 14th May 2008, 04:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rjbond3rd
Hi Loninappleton,

1. Do you think the differences between the BiB and Harvey can be explained by the loading / placement? In other words, is your BiB(s) perhaps taking advantage of the corner / ceiling whereas your Harvey(s) might be out in the room a bit more?

2. Please pardon my ignorance but can one use a BSC with the Harvey? I have found one to be effective though I realize not all designs require them.
I have run the Harvey a couple of different ways. But my BIB is not
installed in the recommended tight to the wall manner. I'd have to
redo and redecorate for that. The unit would have to fit around a baseboard heater. So no, no overpowering due to corner loading.

Just running the Harvey by itself it lacks any sort of coherence between the small BR chamber and the dual back horn. Also full disclosure about volume. I never play this stuff very loud.

To summarize. Both BIB and Harvey were toed in to give soundstage in front of the listener. This usually means pointing the
speaker at the listener's opposite chair arm. Left to right and right to left.
Old 14th May 2008, 05:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Loninappleton, does the Harvey take a BSC?
Old 14th May 2008, 05:23 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by zayne742
Would that reason be the same for the bipole Fonkens? Very interested in building a pair. I believe that Scott and Dave may have been revising the plan.?
The bipole Fonken is still a number of not ready for prime time design exercises. By the time you get it past the 3.5:1 width to depth ratio i seem to be looking at something that would be better exectuted as a bipole Mileva.

Because Demetri & Mileva have been licenced i am releasing those plans by request so that i have a very rough idea of who has them.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!