Mileva plan page

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just looked for the Mileva plan and navigated through
the TL site and found the link. But the plan is not available.

No rush on this, I just wanted to see some measurements.

The Mileva build thread is very good on this. Would like to see a listening update as well.

The all time champ is still the BIB with FE127e. The Mileva will be a challenge for what woodworking I can do.

loninappleton said:
Well, there's a link that's just not active. Some of the Frugal and Spawn pages have been under construction I guess.

there's actually another reason for the crippled link.

How wide is the Mileva?

I'm considering what I can build out of things I have on hand.

317mm (~12.5") with 15mm plywood - I added an extra layer to the top and side panels to all for cosmetic chamfer - so the final dimension was 347mm (~13 5/8")

Full disclosure on this:

I considered the Mileva build for what variations and enhancements it might give to the GM MLTL. My BIB is overpowering the MLTL.

Some here know that I do these builds one at a time and use them
asymetrically.

Now for the disclosure part: the Harvey is just not producing much besides what comes out of the small BR chamber. With additional materials I maybe could squeeze two Milevas out of the side panels
and some other stuff for the insides.

In A/B tests the BIB is all around better than the Harvey. Others may be having better results. There's the possibility that my hearing isn't the best as well. I had fun with the intricacy of the Harvey build last Winter. It was pretty involved. But for soundstage or double horn bass fullness, the BIB does it, but the Harvey just doesn't sing.

I'm not sure about a Mileva build either. Perhaps something other will come along.

The BIB has the fullness and the MLTL has the precision. Size versus agility? Hard to pinpoint how I listen to these.

I've always liked the VTL "look" but don't know how the Milevas are doing in the field. The Mileva build log thread has not been active in a while.

Hi Loninappleton,

1. Do you think the differences between the BiB and Harvey can be explained by the loading / placement? In other words, is your BiB(s) perhaps taking advantage of the corner / ceiling whereas your Harvey(s) might be out in the room a bit more?

2. Please pardon my ignorance but can one use a BSC with the Harvey? I have found one to be effective though I realize not all designs require them.

rjbond3rd said:
Hi Loninappleton,

1. Do you think the differences between the BiB and Harvey can be explained by the loading / placement? In other words, is your BiB(s) perhaps taking advantage of the corner / ceiling whereas your Harvey(s) might be out in the room a bit more?

2. Please pardon my ignorance but can one use a BSC with the Harvey? I have found one to be effective though I realize not all designs require them.

I have run the Harvey a couple of different ways. But my BIB is not
installed in the recommended tight to the wall manner. I'd have to
redo and redecorate for that. The unit would have to fit around a baseboard heater. So no, no overpowering due to corner loading.

Just running the Harvey by itself it lacks any sort of coherence between the small BR chamber and the dual back horn. Also full disclosure about volume. I never play this stuff very loud.

To summarize. Both BIB and Harvey were toed in to give soundstage in front of the listener. This usually means pointing the
speaker at the listener's opposite chair arm. Left to right and right to left.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
zayne742 said:
Would that reason be the same for the bipole Fonkens? Very interested in building a pair. I believe that Scott and Dave may have been revising the plan.?

The bipole Fonken is still a number of not ready for prime time design exercises. By the time you get it past the 3.5:1 width to depth ratio i seem to be looking at something that would be better exectuted as a bipole Mileva.

Because Demetri & Mileva have been licenced i am releasing those plans by request so that i have a very rough idea of who has them.

dave

>>> Congratulations are in order, no? I hope you'll offer juicy details when possible. It's nice to think that generous and brilliant people are rewarded occasionally.

I'm sure Dave will make a ton from this! He's probably a millionaire already from the phase plugs and EnAbleing.

All kidding aside, it's great to be able to make some money from a hobby you love. I am trying myself and lost over $5,000 in less than 6 months. But you keep going because you enjoy it and enjoy the people you meet and talk to. It's a common bond and it feels good. And you hope to eventually make the money back over time because you don't expect to give up your hobby anytime soon. After that, you hope one day to make enough to continue.

Godzilla said:
>>> Congratulations are in order, no? I hope you'll offer juicy details when possible. It's nice to think that generous and brilliant people are rewarded occasionally.

Look familiar?

http://www.audio-magus.com/product_p/wl8.htm

MMM - bamboo and hemp

I'm sure Dave will make a ton from this! He's probably a millionaire already from the phase plugs and EnAbleing.

Indeed, his biggest headache right now is arguing with the regional building authority for a variance to allow removal of trees for helipad for the corporate Bell Jet Ranger. That cab ride from the harbour airport is such a waste of time. :joker:

Fortunately, benevolent since his own recent internet generated bonanza, Scottmoose has been able to recommend both a top notch international corporate law firm to help smooth out the wrinkles, and an highly reputable offshore bank for storage of all that loot.

(see kids what sleep deprivation can do for you)

All kidding aside, it's great to be able to make some money from a hobby you love. I am trying myself and lost over $5,000 in less than 6 months. But you keep going because you enjoy it and enjoy the people you meet and talk to. It's a common bond and it feels good. And you hope to eventually make the money back over time because you don't expect to give up your hobby anytime soon. After that, you hope one day to make enough to continue.

Only the rare few of us can expect to even recover the expenses our hobadiction (new word) generates. If we manage to sell something we've hacked together to friends and family while sharing our experiences with other DIYers, we're lucky indeed - when we receive public recognition - that's a blessing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.