full range desktop speaker. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Sh1mmy is offline Sh1mmy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default full range desktop speaker.

Hey all...

I'm a bit new to this, and was wanting to ask some questions...

I'm after a set of speakers to hook up to my computer (for now, would probably get moved to a small HT at a later date), but have a few things it has to be...

No higher than 450mm (or atleast as close to).
Have reasonably decent bass without a sub, <50hz would be perfect.
decent mids, and highs (I realize it might need a tweeter)

On the desk, it can come out no further than 430mm, and about the same in width, so i cant see that being a prob at all.

Now, I've found a design i kinda like, but am unsure if it will suit me.

http://spiralspeaker.web.fc2.com/aaa...ng-ag220z.html

I'm not sure if it would suit me, as i listen to a wide range of genres, from...
Blues, Rock'n'Roll (old school), Jazz, Swing, (not sure exactly what genre it fits into) i also like pieces like what Hanz Zimmer does.... these make up about 75% of what i listen to, the others being a mixture of a lot of genres.
I also, play quite a few games/movies, but more time is spent listening to music.

So, the question there is, would something like that, suit me?

I was originally going to buy something along the lines of the Dali Concept 2, Paradigm Atom... etc.
Then i thought about a DIY 2way, and after doing some research, i found some pros/cons of singe wide range speakers, and here i am.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 13th May 2008, 07:27 PM   #2
falis is offline falis  United States
diyAudio Member

I know this is the DiY place, but check out these (and the reviews at places like 6moons): http://www.audio-magus.com/product_p/sjb3.htm

I'd certainly consider them for your application, and you should be able to get them more locally, since they're made in Hong Kong.

- Ed
Old 14th May 2008, 12:27 AM   #3
cwujek is offline cwujek  United States
diyAudio Member

The Fonkens are a great set of speakers that fit the smaller dimensions you want.
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html
Old 14th May 2008, 02:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by falis
I know this is the DiY place, but check out these (and the reviews at places like 6moons): http://www.audio-magus.com/product_p/sjb3.htm

I'd certainly consider them for your application, and you should be able to get them more locally, since they're made in Hong Kong.

- Ed
Thanks for the reply, I have looked at these and read a few reviews, but i dont feel i would be getting my moneys worth with them, as it seems the average price is over $500 in Australia, and i would like something a bit bigger, part of the reason being is i dont want to have to use a sub, which is why I'm considering a 2way setup more at the moment.

Quote:
Originally posted by cwujek
The Fonkens are a great set of speakers that fit the smaller dimensions you want.
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html

Cheers for that, sifting through them now.
Old 14th May 2008, 12:41 PM   #5
falis is offline falis  United States
diyAudio Member

Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 14th May 2008, 03:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Suggestion: don't go with the unshielded 166 (without shielding it) if it's going anywhere near electronic equipment. Just in case.
Old 14th May 2008, 04:15 PM   #7
cwujek is offline cwujek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sh1mmy

Thanks for the reply, I have looked at these and read a few reviews, but i dont feel i would be getting my moneys worth with them, as it seems the average price is over $500 in Australia, and i would like something a bit bigger, part of the reason being is i dont want to have to use a sub, which is why I'm considering a 2way setup more at the moment.
If you were going to go with something like the JB3, I would suggest making these:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html
Old 14th May 2008, 04:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by falis
Let us know what you decide to do.
Will do.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Suggestion: don't go with the unshielded 166 (without shielding it) if it's going anywhere near electronic equipment. Just in case.
I was actually wondering that... is that the only difference between the '6' and '7'? and does it go for all sizes?

Quote:
Originally posted by cwujek

If you were going to go with something like the JB3, I would suggest making these:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html
I wouldn't mind something like that, and might do make it, later as a small project, i would certainly rather make that than spend $500 on the JB3, (thanks for the link though, would be good for something a bit more portable)
However, right now, I'm after something a bit bigger, as i don't want to use a sub, at least not for a while anyway.

Thanks.
Old 14th May 2008, 08:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Here are my new desktop speakers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe87e.jpg (5.1 KB, 1462 views)
Old 15th May 2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I am about to complete a pair of desktop TL's with a 3" Omnes Audio driver, which performs quite impressive, bass down to 50Hz, accoustic bass sounds full size, even drums sound good.

I will post with pix as soon as they are complete (just need some paint and photos)

Hide this!Advertise here!