full range desktop speaker. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2008, 03:22 PM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sh1mmy

lol, I gathered that, was just speaking figuratively... in a nutshell.
As much as i would love to do something like that, i don't reckon i would have the confidence to do it since its not reversible right?
Not reversible physically -- or with respect to what you can listen to afterwards...

Quote:
so just out of standard FE127E and FR125SR, is your preference still towards the fostex one?
Tends towards the Fostex, but very amp dependent. Something like a Rotel is going to favour the CSS.

dave
Old 16th May 2008, 03:47 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

HERE is a small MLTL design I did a few years ago. I don't have any photos because it currently sits at the home media desk of a cousin who is a sound engineer. He said it sounds really good and can't believe I built it out of cheap pine boards. It's a very nice compliment to a guy who spends a lot of time in a mastering suite with lot of big active monitors.

I realize that it won't go as low as you want, but with the right driver, it can be scaled up in size to reach down. I've been working on a new version to match a 4" concentric two way that won't be any larger than about 14"x14"x7".

:)ensen.
Old 16th May 2008, 04:08 PM   #23
Sh1mmy is offline Sh1mmy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Not reversible physically -- or with respect to what you can listen to afterwards...

Tends towards the Fostex, but very amp dependent. Something like a Rotel is going to favour the CSS.

dave
I get what ya mean about the new respect ya would have for them, how hard is it to do? and how much would it cost to get it done?

lol, call me slow, but i only just realized that these are your designs and website... top job mate!

Quote:
Originally posted by purplepeople
HERE is a small MLTL design I did a few years ago. I don't have any photos because it currently sits at the home media desk of a cousin who is a sound engineer. He said it sounds really good and can't believe I built it out of cheap pine boards. It's a very nice compliment to a guy who spends a lot of time in a mastering suite with lot of big active monitors.

I realize that it won't go as low as you want, but with the right driver, it can be scaled up in size to reach down. I've been working on a new version to match a 4" concentric two way that won't be any larger than about 14"x14"x7".

ensen.
Thanks for that. I am actually starting to change my mind, and beginning to realize just how much i was asking for, so a little bit less bass... i can live with.

And yeah, thats one hell of a compliment.
Old 16th May 2008, 06:08 PM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I get what ya mean about the new respect ya would have for them, how hard is it to do? and how much would it cost to get it done?
email me, this is something to be discussed off-forum...

dave
Old 17th May 2008, 03:04 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Sorry to be a pain, but was just looking at a few amps/receivers, and remembered what was mentioned about Rotels favoring the CSS drivers.

Are there any main brands that work well with the miniOnken/Fonken (with and without the EnABLed drivers), generally speaking.

Main ones I've seen on ebay have been Rotels, Yamahas, Pioneers and Marantz.

Cheers.
Old 17th May 2008, 03:40 PM   #26
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Are there any main brands that work well with the miniOnken/Fonken (with and without the EnABLed drivers), generally speaking.
You want amps with a highish output impedance. Tube amps in general, many Class D, Pass F1 & F2 & (maybe F4), some of the gainclones (LM1875 likely best bet)

dave

PS: got your mail, but am on the road.
Old 17th May 2008, 05:12 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:

You want amps with a highish output impedance. Tube amps in general, many Class D, Pass F1 & F2 & (maybe F4), some of the gainclones (LM1875 likely best bet)

dave

PS: got your mail, but am on the road.

I was looking for a tube amp but don't think would be within my budget.

I am still looking around for tube amps and am reading bout the ones you recomended.

The amps i was looking at before have usually been about 30w @ 8ohms, if i was to go solid state, would something like that do?

Most likely i will go with tube one day, as i like their sound a bit more, but at the moment, doesn't look like it will be for a while, unless theres cheep-ish decent-ish tubes in DIY kits.

Cheers... no problems mate.
Old 17th May 2008, 06:32 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:

gainclones (LM1875 likely best bet)

Sorry to be a pain again, just wondering if i would have to make/get a preamp for one of those?

aside from tubes/valves is this (LM1857) the main amp you would recomend for the fonkens with enabled drivers?
Old 18th May 2008, 09:27 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

If you want to build something yourself, I suggest you build one of Nelson's First Watt amps, or one of his later Zen designs. I've heard the F2 & F4 & used to own a SoZ V6. The F4 will need a high-gain pre-amp or source with adjustable output (like a Squeezebox). The others are a little more forgiving WRT the source. Cost you about 100. Completely flatten everything even vaguely approaching the price, including gainclones & class D amps.

If these frighten you (not that they're complicated -an objective of Nelson's with the Zen's was to encourage people to build amps, & the First Watt amps aren't much more difficult, if any) take a gander at the class D kits / modules from DIYParadise or 41Hz. Or, if you want a plug-in solution, the Kingrex is allegedly the pick of the already-built bunch; at least in the sub $1,000 catagory.

Personally, I've never liked gainclones. Natural inborn vice I suppose.
Old 18th May 2008, 11:37 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Cheers for that mate, taking a look now.
Although i was hoping to keep it around the AU$150, but i could lash out a bit more and get something a fair bit better.

Hide this!Advertise here!