full range desktop speaker. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2008, 05:50 PM   #11
Sh1mmy is offline Sh1mmy  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by cwujek
The Fonkens are a great set of speakers that fit the smaller dimensions you want.
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html
Sorry, i didn't take much notice of this post before... lol.
had a look, and seems alright, i had actually came across them before also, but discarded the idea thinking they wouldn't suit me...
However though, I've done a bit more reading, and it seems i underestimated these by a long shot.
I'm now taking them more seriously, and is on the short-list.

Quote:
Originally posted by sintacto
Here are my new desktop speakers
Looking good there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Henkjan
I am about to complete a pair of desktop TL's with a 3" Omnes Audio driver, which performs quite impressive, bass down to 50Hz, accoustic bass sounds full size, even drums sound good.

I will post with pix as soon as they are complete (just need some paint and photos)
Wow, that sounds pretty good.


Going back to the Fonkens, the one that kinda stood out to me is the "miniOnken" (mainly because i can get the driver easily), and 2ndly the "Fonken".
Which of these 2 would be the better one?, or if thats an impossible question, what are the difference between the 2? frequency range, quality, sensitivity... etc.
If anyone has any ideas, would these compare with, (for example) Usher S-510, Dali Concept1/2, Paradigm Atom?
(EDIT: could these be made with MDF or Ply-wood? as most examples ive seen have been made of various hardwoods)

Also, another i saw on the same site is the Aperiodic one...
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...-aperiodic.gif

Anyone know anything about them?

Cheers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 06:08 PM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
Franz Gysi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
A very good speaker, running for years on my desktop:

Click the image to open in full size.

Fostex FE83E recommended enclosure:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...3e_enclrev.pdf

Regards
Franz
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 08:39 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Sh1mmy
Going back to the Fonkens, the one that kinda stood out to me is the "miniOnken" (mainly because i can get the driver easily), and 2ndly the "Fonken".
Which of these 2 would be the better one?, or if thats an impossible question, what are the difference between the 2? frequency range, quality, sensitivity... etc.
If anyone has any ideas, would these compare with, (for example) Usher S-510, Dali Concept1/2, Paradigm Atom?
(EDIT: could these be made with MDF or Ply-wood? as most examples ive seen have been made of various hardwoods)
The full size Fonken goes lower, is more open thru the midrange, and the box dissappears more readily. The mFonken compromises bass depth (althou with a bit of a bump before it falls off), and openess (the proximity of box walls are the culprit) to get a small box. The mFonken is pretty close to LS3/5A size. The Atom doesn't come close (althou goes lower) and the one set of LS3/5A we had for compare got embarassed.

Quote:
Also, another i saw on the same site is the Aperiodic one...
http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL...-aperiodic.gif
I don't know if anyone has built that variation, but we did the other and performance was very good... based on it, any FR125 boxes we do down the road will be 4.5-7 liter aperiodic -- seems to really suit the driver.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4l-aperiodic-fr125.jpg (89.6 KB, 1182 views)
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 09:40 PM   #14
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Henkjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Berkel en Rodenrijs
FR125 in ~4liter aperiodic sounds great, the bass doesn't go deeep but then again one does not seem to miss it, it sounds like a large speaker. yes also this one is waiting to be finished, just some paint (soldered the notch filter this evening)
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 04:16 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
... The mFonken is pretty close to LS3/5A size. The Atom doesn't come close (althou goes lower) and the one set of LS3/5A we had for compare got embarassed.
Note: with FE127eN not the stock FE127.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 04:22 AM   #16
Sh1mmy is offline Sh1mmy  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by Franz Gysi
A very good speaker, running for years on my desktop:

Click the image to open in full size.

Fostex FE83E recommended enclosure:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...3e_enclrev.pdf

Regards
Franz
nice, certainly looks unique, might look at doing something like that as a future 'fun' project.

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10


The full size Fonken goes lower, is more open thru the midrange, and the box dissappears more readily. The mFonken compromises bass depth (althou with a bit of a bump before it falls off), and openess (the proximity of box walls are the culprit) to get a small box. The mFonken is pretty close to LS3/5A size. The Atom doesn't come close (althou goes lower) and the one set of LS3/5A we had for compare got embarassed.



I don't know if anyone has built that variation, but we did the other and performance was very good... based on it, any FR125 boxes we do down the road will be 4.5-7 liter aperiodic -- seems to really suit the driver.

dave
Sorry for the confusion, but when you said "full size fonken" did you mean the floor stander one or the one similar to the miniOnken, but with a fostex driver?
Seems this miniOnken is a lot of bang-for-ya-buck, and looks like i underestimated them in a big way.

so, in your opinion would you say the miniOnken is much better than the Aperiodic one?

Quote:
Originally posted by Henkjan
FR125 in ~4liter aperiodic sounds great, the bass doesn't go deeep but then again one does not seem to miss it, it sounds like a large speaker. yes also this one is waiting to be finished, just some paint (soldered the notch filter this evening)
Nice, is there anything you could compare it to, or would you say its in a league of its own?

Also, how big an amp would i need to power the miniOnken? As I've now read a bit more about them and it seems they are quite in-sensitive.

Cheers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 04:59 AM   #17
Sh1mmy is offline Sh1mmy  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10


Note: with FE127eN not the stock FE127.

dave

thats the painting process right?, i don't think i would be confident enough to paint them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 05:14 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Sh1mmy
\Sorry for the confusion, but when you said "full size fonken" did you mean the floor stander one or the one similar to the miniOnken, but with a fostex driver?
The latter...

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
so, in your opinion would you say the miniOnken is much better than the Aperiodic one?
No.

I personally prefer the FE127eN Fonken to anything else we have done... and they get even better with the support woofers... part of this is down to the amps i prefer. If you have an HT revceiver for instance thge FR125 speakers will gain an edge.

Quote:
Also, how big an amp would i need to power the miniOnken? As I've now read a bit more about them and it seems they are quite in-sensitive.
A good 15-30 Watts per channel.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 05:17 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Sh1mmy
thats the painting process right?
The process is more involved than that...

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 06:49 AM   #20
Sh1mmy is offline Sh1mmy  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10


The latter...

Click the image to open in full size.



No.

I personally prefer the FE127eN Fonken to anything else we have done... and they get even better with the support woofers... part of this is down to the amps i prefer. If you have an HT revceiver for instance thge FR125 speakers will gain an edge.



A good 15-30 Watts per channel.

dave
Ahh, fair enough...

I haven't got an amp/receiver yet, was going to get it after i decided on what speakers to buy.
Most likely i will try and get something older, like a '70s Rotel, NAD,Pioneer, Yamaha or something along those lines.


Quote:
Originally posted by planet10


The process is more involved than that...

dave
lol, I gathered that, was just speaking figuratively... in a nutshell.
As much as i would love to do something like that, i don't reckon i would have the confidence to do it since its not reversible right?

so just out of standard FE127E and FR125SR, is your preference still towards the fostex one?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
16 Ohm Full-Range Speaker thelordash Chip Amps 13 23rd January 2009 05:13 PM
Fertin Full Range Speaker Ecess Full Range 29 5th January 2009 10:31 AM
Fostex full range speaker help hifibuyguy Full Range 23 3rd December 2007 04:49 PM
full range speaker for HT Jazzz Full Range 13 8th September 2006 08:27 PM
Zen or Aleph for full range speaker audionut Pass Labs 3 25th November 2004 12:29 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:43 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2