full range desktop speaker. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2008, 05:50 PM   #11
Sh1mmy is offline Sh1mmy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cwujek
The Fonkens are a great set of speakers that fit the smaller dimensions you want.
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html
Sorry, i didn't take much notice of this post before... lol.
had a look, and seems alright, i had actually came across them before also, but discarded the idea thinking they wouldn't suit me...
However though, I've done a bit more reading, and it seems i underestimated these by a long shot.
I'm now taking them more seriously, and is on the short-list.

Quote:
Originally posted by sintacto
Here are my new desktop speakers
Looking good there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Henkjan
I am about to complete a pair of desktop TL's with a 3" Omnes Audio driver, which performs quite impressive, bass down to 50Hz, accoustic bass sounds full size, even drums sound good.

I will post with pix as soon as they are complete (just need some paint and photos)
Wow, that sounds pretty good.

Going back to the Fonkens, the one that kinda stood out to me is the "miniOnken" (mainly because i can get the driver easily), and 2ndly the "Fonken".
Which of these 2 would be the better one?, or if thats an impossible question, what are the difference between the 2? frequency range, quality, sensitivity... etc.
If anyone has any ideas, would these compare with, (for example) Usher S-510, Dali Concept1/2, Paradigm Atom?
(EDIT: could these be made with MDF or Ply-wood? as most examples ive seen have been made of various hardwoods)

Also, another i saw on the same site is the Aperiodic one...
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...-aperiodic.gif

Anyone know anything about them?

Cheers.
Old 15th May 2008, 06:08 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

A very good speaker, running for years on my desktop:

Click the image to open in full size.

Fostex FE83E recommended enclosure:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...3e_enclrev.pdf

Regards
Franz
Old 15th May 2008, 08:39 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sh1mmy
Going back to the Fonkens, the one that kinda stood out to me is the "miniOnken" (mainly because i can get the driver easily), and 2ndly the "Fonken".
Which of these 2 would be the better one?, or if thats an impossible question, what are the difference between the 2? frequency range, quality, sensitivity... etc.
If anyone has any ideas, would these compare with, (for example) Usher S-510, Dali Concept1/2, Paradigm Atom?
(EDIT: could these be made with MDF or Ply-wood? as most examples ive seen have been made of various hardwoods)
The full size Fonken goes lower, is more open thru the midrange, and the box dissappears more readily. The mFonken compromises bass depth (althou with a bit of a bump before it falls off), and openess (the proximity of box walls are the culprit) to get a small box. The mFonken is pretty close to LS3/5A size. The Atom doesn't come close (althou goes lower) and the one set of LS3/5A we had for compare got embarassed.

Quote:
Also, another i saw on the same site is the Aperiodic one...
http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL...-aperiodic.gif
I don't know if anyone has built that variation, but we did the other and performance was very good... based on it, any FR125 boxes we do down the road will be 4.5-7 liter aperiodic -- seems to really suit the driver.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4l-aperiodic-fr125.jpg (89.6 KB, 1182 views)
Old 15th May 2008, 09:40 PM   #14
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

FR125 in ~4liter aperiodic sounds great, the bass doesn't go deeep but then again one does not seem to miss it, it sounds like a large speaker. yes also this one is waiting to be finished, just some paint (soldered the notch filter this evening)
Old 16th May 2008, 04:16 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
... The mFonken is pretty close to LS3/5A size. The Atom doesn't come close (althou goes lower) and the one set of LS3/5A we had for compare got embarassed.
Note: with FE127eN not the stock FE127.

dave
Old 16th May 2008, 04:22 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Franz Gysi
A very good speaker, running for years on my desktop:

Fostex FE83E recommended enclosure:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...3e_enclrev.pdf

Regards
Franz
nice, certainly looks unique, might look at doing something like that as a future 'fun' project.

Quote:

The full size Fonken goes lower, is more open thru the midrange, and the box dissappears more readily. The mFonken compromises bass depth (althou with a bit of a bump before it falls off), and openess (the proximity of box walls are the culprit) to get a small box. The mFonken is pretty close to LS3/5A size. The Atom doesn't come close (althou goes lower) and the one set of LS3/5A we had for compare got embarassed.

I don't know if anyone has built that variation, but we did the other and performance was very good... based on it, any FR125 boxes we do down the road will be 4.5-7 liter aperiodic -- seems to really suit the driver.

dave
Sorry for the confusion, but when you said "full size fonken" did you mean the floor stander one or the one similar to the miniOnken, but with a fostex driver?
Seems this miniOnken is a lot of bang-for-ya-buck, and looks like i underestimated them in a big way.

so, in your opinion would you say the miniOnken is much better than the Aperiodic one?

Quote:
Originally posted by Henkjan
FR125 in ~4liter aperiodic sounds great, the bass doesn't go deeep but then again one does not seem to miss it, it sounds like a large speaker. yes also this one is waiting to be finished, just some paint (soldered the notch filter this evening)
Nice, is there anything you could compare it to, or would you say its in a league of its own?

Also, how big an amp would i need to power the miniOnken? As I've now read a bit more about them and it seems they are quite in-sensitive.

Cheers.
Old 16th May 2008, 04:59 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Note: with FE127eN not the stock FE127.

dave

thats the painting process right?, i don't think i would be confident enough to paint them.
Old 16th May 2008, 05:14 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
\Sorry for the confusion, but when you said "full size fonken" did you mean the floor stander one or the one similar to the miniOnken, but with a fostex driver?
The latter...

Quote:
so, in your opinion would you say the miniOnken is much better than the Aperiodic one?
No.

I personally prefer the FE127eN Fonken to anything else we have done... and they get even better with the support woofers... part of this is down to the amps i prefer. If you have an HT revceiver for instance thge FR125 speakers will gain an edge.

Quote:
Also, how big an amp would i need to power the miniOnken? As I've now read a bit more about them and it seems they are quite in-sensitive.
A good 15-30 Watts per channel.

dave
Old 16th May 2008, 05:17 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
thats the painting process right?
The process is more involved than that...

dave
Old 16th May 2008, 06:49 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:

The latter...

No.

I personally prefer the FE127eN Fonken to anything else we have done... and they get even better with the support woofers... part of this is down to the amps i prefer. If you have an HT revceiver for instance thge FR125 speakers will gain an edge.

A good 15-30 Watts per channel.

dave
Ahh, fair enough...

I haven't got an amp/receiver yet, was going to get it after i decided on what speakers to buy.
Most likely i will try and get something older, like a '70s Rotel, NAD,Pioneer, Yamaha or something along those lines.

Quote:

The process is more involved than that...

dave
lol, I gathered that, was just speaking figuratively... in a nutshell.
As much as i would love to do something like that, i don't reckon i would have the confidence to do it since its not reversible right?

so just out of standard FE127E and FR125SR, is your preference still towards the fostex one?

Hide this!Advertise here!