Tweeter for Pioneer B20 in Half Chang? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2008, 08:13 AM   #1
rkevans is offline rkevans  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tweeter for Pioneer B20 in Half Chang?

A friend and I are excited about playing with some of the neat designs from the frugal-horn website. I've had an urge to do this for a while... but had neither the woodworking tools nor the space to do it right. Now I do.

For simplicity, we're probably going to build a pair of half-chang cabinets first, then he'd like to jump into the Sachiko.
I have a fresh pair of Fostex FE206e drivers sitting near the workbench. I've hooked them up and played a few hours of music through them, and they sound absolutely horrible without a cabinet. I expected that.

After seeing a few comments on here, I also ordered a pair of the cheapie Pioneer B20 drivers for comparison. If/when we finish both cabinets, it should be fun to play 'swap and listen' for a few weeks before ordering the correct -207E drivers.

I think we're going to want to add a tweeter to the systems for when the B20 drivers are installed, and I'm having a hard time choosing one.

Is there a 'standard recommendation' for a moderate priced tweeter? Perhaps in the $50/pair range? Current clearance specials on a DIY-friendly website?

Assuming that 'tweeters are a very personal choice', I have a bit of experience with higher-end car stereo drivers.
I really like the metal domes from JL Audio ( http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?page_id=101 )
So, a damped metal dome seems like the obvious choice...

I also have a bit of experience with MB Quart's harsh titanium domes (do not want), and one of my cars has CDT/Vifa tweeters that are tolerable (no link -- I can't find the model).

Thanks,
Rick
Old 11th May 2008, 09:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

This has been used with great success by Greg with B20s in the original build of the double-horn variation http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=10034541
Old 11th May 2008, 03:54 PM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

If they're still available, Infinity Kappa car audio treated textile dome super tweeters add a very lush sounding top end that's a ~ideal mate to typical 'FR' drivers IMO.

GM
Old 11th May 2008, 04:44 PM   #4
rkevans is offline rkevans  United States
diyAudio Member

Perfect.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 11th May 2008, 09:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

http://www.zillaspeak.com/pioneerb20-piezo.asp

Above is an old article on the B20 + Piezo tweeter. We have moved way beyond a simple sealed cabinet and into much better cabinet designs for nearly every single full range driver available. But i still like the way the B20 plus a cheap piezo sounds. Add an L-pad and tune to taste.

Godzilla
Old 11th May 2008, 09:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
If they're still available, Infinity Kappa car audio treated textile dome super tweeters add a very lush sounding top end that's a ~ideal mate to typical 'FR' drivers IMO.
GM
Interesting. Cheers Greg -will have to look into that.

Hide this!Advertise here!