about to build my first set of harveys

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
knocked up a quick cad model of the (almost) finished design. its still a harvey deep down, the only thing i've changed is a few aesthetic bits.........

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

a quick question, on the design diagram on the data sheet, one of the critical dimensions is a bit hazy, at the rear of the driver, near the back panel, it says that it needs to have a 2 6.4mm passages. but the drawing shows 7.1........... its only .7 of a mm but i beleive this is a pretty critical distance.......

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by seventynine a quick question, on the design diagram on the data sheet, one of the critical dimensions is a bit hazy, at the rear of the driver, near the back panel, it says that it needs to have a 2 6.4mm passages. but the drawing shows 7.1........... its only .7 of a mm but i beleive this is a pretty critical distance.......

The 1/4" (6.4 mm) is correct. I't looks like i mucked the drawing up a bit.

dave

I have my Harvey build up and connected again. Will be interested
in your progress.

One thing of note was a modding thread about making a streamlined extension on the Fostex to smooth the back wave. That looked like it would have application on your design.

Best of luck with it. I'm interested in everything Harvey. And there's a Harvey builders thread. Please consider updating to it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111612&highlight=

i've changed a bit of it this morning, the 'hump' will be filled with something, probably glass fibre or something to make it a bit harder. and the base is big enough for 50kg of sand to sit nicely in there so they don't fall over but more importantly give a nice solid base to damp any resonance etc.

thanks for the info in the dimension change, i used that one anyway, as it seemed the most logical

so 5 years later i finally built SOMETHING, obviously things moved on since then, and since i had the Fostex sat under my bed i figured i'd better do something :D

seemed to make sense to do the FH Mk3's after an evenings reading, but with a slight twist

tesselated them onto a sheet of 4x8 and had them cut

the slight twist was that i wanted a bit more weight to them, so decided to put an extra pocket in the bottom to accomodate half a bag of sand...

photo1_zpsed20468c.jpg

figured i'd biwire some CAT5e for the wiring, after spending ages looking at binding posts and not finding anything that took my fancy for the price range i decided to leave them out

photo2_zpsedc306fe.jpg

bit of wadding

photo3_zpseac6163c.jpg

and in goes the sand

photo4_zps6e631e0c.jpg

and a bit of vinyl -

IMG_7519_zpsd39b65dc.jpg

5 years later we have some speakers :lol:

blown away with the sound those little drivers can make :)

IMG_7497_zps7c64e990.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.