Best fullrange driver for bass - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2008, 01:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best fullrange driver for bass

Is there any chance to get real (like hip-hop, rock, etc.) bass from a fullrange driver in any cabinet? What is the best driver-enclosure combination for non-compromising bass response?
What about Lowther drivers? I have read they have excellent midrange response but no good bass response even with BLH designs. What about Fostex, Jordan, Audio Nirvana and other fullrange drivers?
Old 10th May 2008, 06:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I get excellent bass in a medium sized room out of my Half-Chang cabinets. They house Pioneer B20s and Dayton super tweeters for the higher octaves...Don't play a ton of hip hop, but I get plenty of umph...

Additionally you can use Fostex 8 inch drivers in the same cabinet. If you have the room, the G Chang would work well too...

http://www.frugal-horn.com/spawn-plans.html
Old 10th May 2008, 11:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I also think the B20 is best for bass among the fullrangers i've tried. Maybe not the cleanest or clearest but compared to Fostex (which is cleaner and clearer) the B20 is fuller, warmer and ... bassier.

Godzilla
Old 10th May 2008, 11:41 PM   #4
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Best fullrange driver for bass
no such thing
if you want real bass, go two way
Old 11th May 2008, 12:06 AM   #5
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have some FE207E, It goes more than loud enough for Led Zeppelin and ACDC. It struggles a bit with Metallica's S&M. With house music it doesn't kick you in the guts, but you can hear it's all there. Drum and Bass similar, you can hear it all but it doesnt rattle the windows.
Eskimo Joe rocks on the system.

it is a two way, a super tweeter from 10k and up.

Using the EQ in your media player you can jack up the bass below the cabinet's rolloff - to a point. (Thanks Bob) I've got about 10db of boost at 32 Hz and it sounds great.

Look for a driver that has a bit more excursion than most and high efficiency, (mine is only 1.5mm). Your'e going to need a huge cabinet too.

I haven't heard the BIB but if you have the room for it that might be what you're looking for.

I have FELT bass in the chest with 1.5 watts from AER MK1 drivers in Singular cabinets, correctly corner loaded with a touch of EQ.
Put 10 watts through a set of those and you're rocking. But there is a downside: the sweet spot is very small and they cost about 800 euro each.

You really need 8 inches or more. The problem is affordable ones don't do the treble very well.
Old 11th May 2008, 12:43 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I most humbly disagree, in fact, that stuff in a farmers field comes to mind. Anyone who was at the Dallas LSAF and heard my Lowther MLTL's and yes, my Fostex FE207E BR's play that pedal D (38 Hz) in the Bach D minor Toccata knows that a full-ranger can get into the 30's with ease.

The Fostex F200A in a TL will give the best bass. Solid to 30. The Lowther DX2, the Fostex FE206E and FE207E in MLTL's will all have F3 near 40 and F10 in the low 30's.

One caveat: The average listening level has to be below the threshold of ear damage. If you need 120dB at 20Hz, you are on the wrong forum.

Bob
Old 11th May 2008, 03:36 AM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Brines
I most humbly disagree, in fact, that stuff in a farmers field comes to mind. Anyone who was at the Dallas LSAF and heard my Lowther MLTL's and yes, my Fostex FE207E BR's play that pedal D (38 Hz) in the Bach D minor Toccata knows that a full-ranger can get into the 30's with ease.

The Fostex F200A in a TL will give the best bass. Solid to 30. The Lowther DX2, the Fostex FE206E and FE207E in MLTL's will all have F3 near 40 and F10 in the low 30's.

One caveat: The average listening level has to be below the threshold of ear damage. If you need 120dB at 20Hz, you are on the wrong forum.

Bob

my compliments on your restraint
Old 11th May 2008, 05:26 AM   #8
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OzMikeH

I have FELT bass in the chest with 1.5 watts from AER MK1 drivers in Singular cabinets, correctly corner loaded with a touch of EQ.
Put 10 watts through a set of those and you're rocking. But there is a downside: the sweet spot is very small and they cost about 800 euro each.

You really need 8 inches or more. The problem is affordable ones don't do the treble very well. [/B]

OzMike
Could you elaborate more on the AER drivers sound from top to bottom etc.. I'm most interested in them as a possible future purchase and like to gather all the info I can..
Dave
Old 11th May 2008, 05:34 AM   #9
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Brines
[One caveat: The average listening level has to be below the threshold of ear damage. If you need 120dB at 20Hz, you are on the wrong forum.

Bob [/B]

As I sit here hearing the auto's at the intersection 500f away blasting bass through my walls, I must say I very much agree and practice your statement Bob. I want to enjoy music till my days are over without hearing aids hanging on my ears, more should practice safe listening levels IMO.. Dave
Old 11th May 2008, 06:34 AM   #10
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCan
OzMike
Could you elaborate more on the AER drivers sound from top to bottom etc.. I'm most interested in them as a possible future purchase and like to gather all the info I can..
Dave
search for posts by me with the word AER in them. I've gushed about them enough. Have a look on the BD design forum too (you dont need to register to view). Bert used to sell them and there was quite a lot of useful discussion there.

I stand corrected. I think I need to build some of Bob's cabinets.

Hide this!Advertise here!