Bookshelf Speaker using Fostex FE167e - options?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

I have managed to get my hands on some FE167e drivers with Planet 10 phase plugs:)

I will ultimately go for some Dimitri"s or Chang variety, but would like to build something smaller in the mean time. I have an open frame ikea bookshelf with space - height about 34 cm and depth about 40cm - with is not so crucial. Does anyone have any pointers to something other than the standard fostex cabs or Bob Brines?

I was wondering if there existed any small horns or tl's that could work?

any help much appreciated.

thanks philip

beeroclock said:
Hi All

I have managed to get my hands on some FE167e drivers with Planet 10 phase plugs:)

I will ultimately go for some Dimitri"s or Chang variety, but would like to build something smaller in the mean time. I have an open frame ikea bookshelf with space - height about 34 cm and depth about 40cm - with is not so crucial. Does anyone have any pointers to something other than the standard fostex cabs or Bob Brines?

I was wondering if there existed any small horns or tl's that could work?

any help much appreciated.

thanks philip

Scottmoose said:
Small & horn are two words that sit very uneasily together. Ditto small & TL. Byt nature, both tend to be large if you're intending getting any LF out of them.

I'd be inclined toward Bob's BRs.

Scott's pretty much covered it already -

If you're already thinking about the Demitri, I wouldn't waste time with anything else; provided you've got room to support the bass they produce - not a speaker for a 200sq ft space.

As far as BR boxes go, the Fostex design can certainly be modified to dimensions that will fit a bookshelf (just port out the front), and while the bass and soundstage suffers dramatically compared to Demitri, is not all that horrible

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

IIRC, this pair ended up in Stew Nelles' brother's system in Vancouver, driven by a Decware Zen amp.

Dave has also some drawings for a floorstanding Fonken design for the FE167E that could be very interesting - maybe someone else will blast together a pair before I get a chance.

Thanks for the input guys.

Will definately build some bookshelf versions first. As I need some speakers in that room.
In my main system I have some Bastanis Prometheus - but used the Apollo as a model.

I know nothing about electronics just like making thing:confused: So really fancy building some BVR's or the Dimitri, just not sure which is more suitable for my room - typical UK living room 15 x 13 x 8 with large bay window.

Where are the plans for those small boxes chris?

cheers philip

Attachments

• bastanis.jpg
    bastanis.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 376
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
beeroclock said:
Where are the plans for those small boxes chris?

We never drew up plans for those (well maybe chris sketched it out to build them). 15 litres in a golden ratio box*, driver offset top & side by golden ratio, with a standard P10 holey driver brace.

port 2" D x 2 1/2" deep.

*Allowing a litre for drivers & brace, then inside dimensions are 0.618*x, x, 1.618*x where x = cube root(16000) cm.

dave

Attachments

• fostex-fe167br-insides.jpg
    fostex-fe167br-insides.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 395
Phil: Dave beat me to it, and a quick survey of my CAD library confirms his suspicion that there's no "as built" drawing saved.

The factory recommended enclosure is net volume approx 15l. As Fostex indicates on their plan, feel free to vary the dimensions while retaining internal volume. IIRC, I would have retained the depth at approx 195mm, and reworked the remaining 2 dimensions as per Dave's GR Formula. The other changes would be addition of the driver and side panel bracing as fairly well indicated in the photo, and mirror image offsetting of the cutouts from baffle centerline by the same golden ratio.

Anyway, although my personal response to several other Fostex factory designs has been less that enthusiastic, these sounded not bad at all - but the Demitri is on an entirely different level.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chrisb said:
Anyway, although my personal response to several other Fostex factory designs has been less that enthusiastic, these sounded not bad at all - but the Demitri is on an entirely different level.

Keep in mind it really takes 2 people to hump a Demetri... 1 person can hump 2 of these BR. One would hope that all that extra wood nets you something -- in particular at least an octave & a half more bottom with much greater authority.

dave

I guess it's just me, but I don't like QB3 alignments (or worse). To me, the 15 l Fostex box is only usable as HT fronts that are assigned "small". My preference is for EBS alignments of one sort or another. My 167 BR is 24 l tuned to 60Hz. At least you get some semblance of bass out of it without booming at cut-off.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.