Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feastrex Fun
Feastrex Fun
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2008, 11:29 AM   #61
jacco vermeulen is offline jacco vermeulen  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Absolutely gorgeous drivers, shame to place them in anything other than see-through enclosures.
The price level makes me wonder if these will ever be used in a commercial product.

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveM
not in the same league.
The Lingenfelter ZO6 does close to 2lbs/hp, which is half the weight/power ratio of the +2 ton fancy Volkswagen.
Plus 45mph higher top speed in theory, if you can keep the vehicle straight at such a velocity, cheaper too.
here
John Lingenfelter is bound to come up with his own version of the Blue Devil (ZR1).

(i sure hope the Master was talking about the 600hp Lola Chevy. )
Old 15th May 2008, 01:57 PM   #62
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

Default one last non-feastrex post

Okay, I'm compelled to defend the Elise... first, it has nothing to do with any Toyota, period. The Elise is a pure Lotus design and there was zero involvement from Toyota... the MR2 is a cute car but nothing close to the Elise. The original Elise used a Rover powerplant... this was not OBD-II compliant and as such could not be used in a US federal version. After much searching, Lotus eventually worked with Toyota for a new drivetrain that was US legal.

I've been at the Lotus factory in Hethel and have seen the Elise in production from start to finish. I would also note that the engine is actually made by Yamaha, not Toyota. I've driven both the original Elise with the Rover powerplant in the UK and the US Federal version in the US and both are high on fun, low on frills and very light cars.

The Federal version of the Elise was required as Lotus could no longer file for a safety extension on the aging Esprit due to it's older design, the Renault geabox no longer being produced and the costs to maintain cambelt timing on the V8 engine in the last Esprit models, which Lotus Cars US had to provide free of charge to maintain federal emissions.

I would also note that many US Elise owners have had serious lubrication issues on the Toyota/Yamaha engine with rocker failures due to some manufacturing defects, including one of my friends who has an Elise. As much as I like the Elise as a track car and simply pure driving fun (like a go-kart on steroids), it's not a replacement for the Esprit V8. Okay... getting off the soapbox now.

So let's hear it for the Feastrex drivers... I love my D5nf drivers and will never sell them, I agree with Nelson's earlier post on the value they offer versus the cost.

Regards, KM
Old 15th May 2008, 05:03 PM   #63
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

Jacco,

You certainly have something there with the Lingenfelter Corvette. That certainly is impressive. One question is can it deliver on the top end? I know that Bugatti spent more money than is deserved to make it do so. From what I have seen, when you ask a a 7 liter engine to produce 1500 hp, it won't do it for long. Simply a matter of materials and fatigue.

It seems everyone missed my suggestion of a bio fuel lotus 7 that would get 60+ mpg and put a grin from ear to ear on every face fortunate enough to ride in it. I gave up on lusting after supercars long ago when I realized I will never be able to afford one. I have been fortunate to get to drive several Ferrari's as well as a Ford GT40 with the 427 built for racing. I find my slightly tuned BMW E30 convertible has just as much fun factor as most other toy cars out there with non of the downsides. I've had it for 8 years, it has over 250,000 miles on it and I have done oil changes and 2 wheel bearings in that time. Where is the downside? Then comes the idea of the DIY automobile to go with the DIY audio.
Old 15th May 2008, 06:12 PM   #64
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

Feastrex Fun
All this simply goes to show that you are really a bunch of car guys
at heart.
Old 15th May 2008, 06:21 PM   #65
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

Feastrex Fun
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
One qestion Nelson -do you find the notch centred at ~900Hz) audible?
I suppose so, but it doesn't jump out at me. Over time when I have
a chance to go back to other drivers, I'll see if I notice it much.

Going through my notes of other full range drivers, I note that
variations of +/- 5 dB are par for the course. As a rule, the "sins of
commission" are more audible than the "sins of omission" and it
has become my habit to address peaks in excess of +5dB when
equalizing.
Old 15th May 2008, 10:05 PM   #66
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

The Corvette, Lotus, etc... are all amazing cars with no excuses to be made but how the heck am i going to fit that Feastrex into a BIB!

I could probably cut thru the inner baffle to allow the 'ball' to sit thru and seal around... or i could put down my first payment on the Lotus or Corvette...
Old 15th May 2008, 10:07 PM   #67
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
All this simply goes to show that you are really a bunch of car guys
at heart.

Indeed!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA
Old 15th May 2008, 10:13 PM   #68
talawalla is offline talawalla  United States
diyAudio Member

If we start talking about putting Festrex drivers in Lotus Cars, we could turn this into a car audio forum.
Old 15th May 2008, 10:37 PM   #69
tryonziess is offline tryonziess  United States
diyAudio Member

Nelson, Being one of the few people to to have personally used the Lowther, Freastrix and other fine -- expensive -- full range drivers do you feel that the full detail in the music is allowed to represent itself accurately.
I personnally use a large line array and find it quite enjoyable from bass to top end -- especially vocals.
Your opinions here is well respected and any comments -- not reviews -- would be much appreciated.
With the large selection of quality 25 watt and under amp projects to choose from the single full range speaker would be an obvious choice to complement the system.

It never seems to amaze me how you managed to make a fine living from a hobby it seems you really enjoy and are able to give so much away. Thanks Tad
Old 16th May 2008, 12:59 AM   #70
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

As good as the Feastrex are would you say they are flat or flavored? Better than Lowhter or just different?

TIA

Feastrex FunHide this!Advertise here!