Feastrex Fun - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2008, 02:15 AM   #201
diyAudio Member

Wow.  If you're gonna dominate the room, dominate it beautifully.

Poinz
Old 21st November 2008, 02:36 AM   #202
dpaws is offline dpaws  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Feastrex D9nf's

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Townsend

The 9Dnfs are sitting in their boxes waiting for the numbers from Hal and myself. Speaker Testing is not real high on my list of things to do.
May I ask what you have in mind for the D9nf's?
Old 21st November 2008, 03:21 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

Default Fun With Feastrex

I plan to put the 9Dnf in an open baffle
with a 12" Tone Tubby 16 ohm alinco mag that crosses over at 200 cycles.The Tone Tubby will sit below the 9Dnf. The open baffle will be about 24"x 60" or so .
Phil
Santa Fe
Old 21st November 2008, 04:10 PM   #204
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Probably been covered before Phil, but how large is your listening rm.?
Don
Old 21st November 2008, 05:26 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

Default My personal room...

My room is 144" x 160" and 8 feet high.
In this room I have the 5Dnf in a Maiko cab. The speakers are pulled way out into the room (63" from the rear wall and 39" from the side wall. The listening is very near field but the 5Dnf sounds really good in this small room.

The 9Dnf are going in my clients living room and that room is large. around 20' wide and 45' or so deep. The ceiling is from 10 feet to 15 feet. The room is ideal for OB and is very lively. Mostly wood floors and wood ceilings.

Phil
Santa Fe
Old 21st November 2008, 06:11 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

Default Re: My personal room...

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Townsend
The room is ideal for OB...

Phil
Santa Fe
What would that be?
The size?
The "lively" part?
(just haven't yet heard an OB system I could listen to more than about five minutes, much less enjoy.
the closest was the Lowther set-up @ VSAC with Jeffery Jackson's 304TL amps carpeted floors & absorbers all over the walls.
That delayed sound bouncing around smears everything, kills detail & drives me crazy. there must be a way to do it that works though, so many people seem to like it...)
Old 22nd November 2008, 03:31 AM   #207
bvan is offline bvan  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: My personal room...

Quote:
Originally posted by serenechaos

What would that be?
The size?
The "lively" part?
(just haven't yet heard an OB system I could listen to more than about five minutes, much less enjoy.
the closest was the Lowther set-up @ VSAC with Jeffery Jackson's 304TL amps carpeted floors & absorbers all over the walls.
That delayed sound bouncing around smears everything, kills detail & drives me crazy. there must be a way to do it that works though, so many people seem to like it...)

Can I assume a live instrument played in a moderately dampened room doesnt drive you crazy? What be the difference between dipole speakers and musical instruments that radiate sound front and back?

Cheers
B.
Old 22nd November 2008, 03:56 AM   #208
diyAudio Member

Live music in a moderatly damped (not dampened/wet ) room doesn't drive me crazy, IF it's not too loud, or some other problem.

The sound wave coming off of say, an acoustic guitar, does not sound anything like a recording of the same coming out of a dipole speaker to me.

On the live instrument all the sound is coming from one source, in phase and radiates in all directions, then interacts with the room.
Off a dipole, sound radiates in one direction in phase, in the other direction out of phase, canceles some out, comb filters some out, delays & combines and interacts with the room...
Not at all the same, and I'm guessing that's why it sounds so different.
It can make a nice effect to use when recording, if you want to add "space" or "ambience" to a recording, make it sound like it's being recorded in a bigger room. Play something, record it, play back through dipoles, & record the playback, just like electronic reverb, if that's what you're looking for.
Old 22nd November 2008, 04:41 AM   #209
bvan is offline bvan  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure the phase of the rear wave matters much, at least in the higher frequencies. Could be wrong here, but by my understanding using diffusion on the rear wall will result in short wavelength sounds arriving back at the listen in a largely random spread of phase. I have found that adding rear tweeters, for example, seems to raise output slightly as expected, but does not show up as measurable comb filtering at the listening position.

I'd agree though that one can have too much rear wave effect in most some rooms. I've got my dipoles 6' off the back wall and still prefer a little bit of absorption at the points of first reflection on that wall, whereas Linkwitz for example likes the front wall very much alive.

When you think about it though, dipoles add maybe only 25% more room into the equation, and phase wise its no different from the infinite number of reflections arriving from monoploes. Infact dipole are putting out a lot less to their edges so I think the differences are not huge, at least not beyond what some simple placement and room treatments cant make up for. If you chose to entirely deaden the wall behind a dipole youre effectively left with a monople minus box colorations.
Old 22nd November 2008, 03:09 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

Default My clients Room

I had the pleasure of listening to a variety of small bands and voices in her room. It was lively to be sure but it did sound really good.

Hide this!Advertise here!