Feastrex Fun - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2008, 09:51 PM   #121
The one and only
 
Nelson Pass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
I have prepared some larger baffles, and it's my intention to
try to get some comparisons without a woofer. I'll be happy to
share the results, but don't hold your breath.

  Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 09:52 PM   #122
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member
 
kmaier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Scott,

I think you're right on many points... however, not everyone is in a position to buy a McLaren, Ferrari, or even a Porsche or Lotus... yet, there's no denying they are certainly far beyond a souped-up Mustang or Camaro as a well-designed, well-engineered and well-executed product. The same can be said for the other products as well be they automotive, audio, etc.

When I was a kid I earned a lot less and bought, designed and built toys, all within my means and lived with them... and I appreciated them and took care of them because I had to work hard to get them. However, I'm not a kid anymore... and I've continued to work hard for over 30 years and have been fortunate enough to have some wonderful opportunities make themselves present, and, hopefully, smart enough to take advantage of them and make things better for myself.

I still live within my means... which admittedly are greater now. Yes, I've been fortunate enough to be in a position to obtain some of the above luxuries including a pair of Feastrex drivers. And yes, they are certainly better than most stuff out there hands down. Whether or not you or anyone else can afford them is a different topic altogether... tell the guy that owns the Ferrari that he wasted 6 figures when he could have gotten most of the performance from a Mustang and he probably won't bother to acknowledge you.

I think most of us can agree that diminishing returns is the norm is any high-end product as you take each (increasingly smaller) step in price/performance, but everyone has their own measurement stick for what is an improvement and, more importantly, what that particular improvement is worth. I also look at other aspects of products I buy, things like reliability, consistency (of performance) and useful lifespan. I truly believe that a Feastrex product will easily last a lifetime if properly used and cared for.

For me, it's absolutely worth the price... not just for the Feastrex drivers, but for the other audio components I invest in and other products as well. I prefer to buy things once and be able to use them and appreciate them for decades.

Regards, KM
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 09:56 PM   #123
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
I have prepared some larger baffles, and it's my intention to
try to get some comparisons without a woofer. I'll be happy to
share the results, but don't hold your breath.


Great! Thanks (as always) Nelson. I know I speak for everyone when I say it's appreciated, whenever you manage to find time.
__________________
Community site www.frugal-horn.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 10:11 PM   #124
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Those with few monetary issues may regard something as a dramatic leap forward, whereas those at the opposite end of the financial spectrum might well regard the same thing as only moderate to slight.
Hi Scottmoose, that thought sums it all up very nicely, in my mind.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 10:51 PM   #125
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by kmaier
Scott,

I think you're right on many points... however, not everyone is in a position to buy a McLaren, Ferrari, or even a Porsche or Lotus... yet, there's no denying they are certainly far beyond a souped-up Mustang or Camaro as a well-designed, well-engineered and well-executed product. The same can be said for the other products as well be they automotive, audio, etc.

When I was a kid I earned a lot less and bought, designed and built toys, all within my means and lived with them... and I appreciated them and took care of them because I had to work hard to get them. However, I'm not a kid anymore... and I've continued to work hard for over 30 years and have been fortunate enough to have some wonderful opportunities make themselves present, and, hopefully, smart enough to take advantage of them and make things better for myself.

I still live within my means... which admittedly are greater now. Yes, I've been fortunate enough to be in a position to obtain some of the above luxuries including a pair of Feastrex drivers. And yes, they are certainly better than most stuff out there hands down. Whether or not you or anyone else can afford them is a different topic altogether... tell the guy that owns the Ferrari that he wasted 6 figures when he could have gotten most of the performance from a Mustang and he probably won't bother to acknowledge you.

I think most of us can agree that diminishing returns is the norm is any high-end product as you take each (increasingly smaller) step in price/performance, but everyone has their own measurement stick for what is an improvement and, more importantly, what that particular improvement is worth. I also look at other aspects of products I buy, things like reliability, consistency (of performance) and useful lifespan. I truly believe that a Feastrex product will easily last a lifetime if properly used and cared for.

For me, it's absolutely worth the price... not just for the Feastrex drivers, but for the other audio components I invest in and other products as well. I prefer to buy things once and be able to use them and appreciate them for decades.

Regards, KM

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly in principle, as you noticed. And I've certainly nothing against them. However, as Feastrex are getting a great deal of free advertising via the forums, and the comments are universally positive, I thought it would be well to introduce a slightly cautionary note. I've seen people who can't really afford things buy them anyway, on the strength of rave forum comments, with all the problems it entails. Yep, it's entirely their decision, & ultimately their responsibility, but I also believe that along with our fun, we are here to help each other, and however great something is, it's a good idea to point out the other side too. Not trying to be a killjoy, just careful.

Slightly OT, actually, I have told a bloke I knew who was trying to decide whether or not to buy a Ferrari 328 to leave it & buy a Lotus instead. He really didn't want to hear it, but it did give him pause for thought. Eventually, he in fact bought a non-turbo Esprit. Not quite as quick as the 328, but he could afford to keep and run it. AFAIK, 4 years on, he still has it. Sure, there are quicker cars out there (although the jury's out on that -not much beats an Esprit of any kind on a twisting road) but he's got the best he could realistically afford. Doesn't stop us admiring the higher end drivers / cars of course, but doesn't cause dissatisfaction with our lot either.
__________________
Community site www.frugal-horn.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 10:55 PM   #126
agent.5 is offline agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Actually, I have told a bloke I knew who was trying to decide whether or not to buy a Ferrari 328 to leave it & buy a Lotus instead. He didn't want to hear it, but it did give him pause for thought. Eventually, he bought a non-turbo Esprit. Not quite as quick as the 348, but he could afford to keep and run it.
You should told him to get an Elise instead.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 11:05 PM   #127
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK


I was thinking a late model Excel SE at the time actually, but the Esprit came up at a really good price, as the non-turbo model was always a bit of a bargin, so he grabbed it. Curse him (I've always wanted one myself).
__________________
Community site www.frugal-horn.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 11:39 PM   #128
diyAudio Member
 
cdwitmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Tokyo
I know a fellow who wanted a pair of the more expensive Feastrex drivers but couldn't afford them . . . until he hit upon the idea of putting his knowledge and listening room to profitable use and started selling them to people who wanted, and were willing to pay for, the sort of "plug-and-play" solutions he could provide. Several sales later, he now has his high-end drivers, paid for by his customers. The fact that bare drivers are available means that in theory at least this is always an option for people with the requisite knowledge and facilities . . .

-- Chris
__________________
"Avoiding deportation from Japan for over a quarter century!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 12:15 AM   #129
The one and only
 
Nelson Pass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
If it's any consolation, I considered the field coil versions, but
I opted for the lesser D9nf's for two reasons:

1) Money is money.

2) I enjoy sharing information with this community, and the more
unattainable the example, the less value it has to DIYers.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 02:14 AM   #130
Steve M is offline Steve M  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Thank you Nelson for your earlier response to my Lowther/ Feastrex query, your response was more than the 'little clue' that I asked for and you still managed to remain fair and impartial ...you really are an ambassador at heart!

Scott: raises some important issues about affordability vs. perceived sonic improvements, and that is really the reason why I asked the question about Feastrex compared to Lowther. I'm not a k-zillionaire either, and have a loving wife, three children, two cats and a mortgage to look after (these are my number one priorities), but it is important to 'push the envelope' with audio within one's sphere of ability and financial means.

As you can see from this Audiogon thread which I use as my personal blog space ( http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...146370182&view ), I have experimented with a lot of speaker technologies from planars to the best of Accuton/Raven cone-domes to point source Goodmans Axiom 80/Coral B10/Fostex/Lowthers to Edgar Horns. I just wanted to let people know that instead of jumping all the hoops like I have, just get a Lowther DX3 (or better) ...they really are that good. And, in this short-cutting context they are not that expensive.

Loudspeakers *are* the most important part of your system and luckily, that's where the biggest bang for the buck is to be had DIYwise. We can't all build ground breaking Class A amplifiers, valve constructs or stratospherically soaring DA converters, but I would encourage everyone to spend most of their audio budget on speakers, that's where the best results will come from. Its very rewarding when someone with a plethora of audio gear including Sonus Faber Cremonas walks into your little audioworld and upon hearing the DIY Lowther MLTL with Eton subs or the Edgar Horns, shakes his head and says "..gee Steve the difference between your sound and mine is that you have MUSIC in your room, and mine sounds like its coming from a hi-fi system". That's the best compliment I could have had.


Regards,


Steve.

BTW: Using the car analogies discussed above, I am a Subaru WRX or Outback kind of guy. Its affordable, does the job well and also has some street cred!
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what amp and enclosure do you use for feastrex d 5nf? milen007 Full Range 2 27th April 2009 01:56 AM
What tweeter above a Feastrex as mid? brucemck2 Multi-Way 35 26th November 2008 12:33 PM
Feastrex D5nf talawalla Vendor's Bazaar 1 11th February 2007 04:06 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:54 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2