Mods for FF85k - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2008, 06:44 PM   #1
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mods for FF85k

Hi Planet10:

would love to see what you're doing with this 'lil driver. I've left mine untweaked thus far, but soon I'll get the 'proper' enabl parts (ordered a kit) and will play with frame damping, etc.
Old 12th May 2008, 08:34 AM   #2
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default badman

Hello,

ive tryed the 85 K, in my Flute Satellite

Click the image to open in full size.

I think the TB W3-1285SG would be a better choice.
Old 12th May 2008, 05:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This doesn't relate to the topic at all. When fewer of your posts are advertisement and self-aggrandizement, let me know, thanks.
Old 12th May 2008, 07:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This doesn't relate to the topic at all. When fewer of your posts are advertisement and self-aggrandizement, let me know, thanks.
wow, Thats harsh Badman.

I know you are after FF85K mods but all HM has really said is that he thinks the TB W3-1285SG is a better driver and gives an example of what enclosure he used.
Old 12th May 2008, 07:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think the point is that badman already owns a pair of FF85Ks, so whether or not anyone else considers another driver to be superior (whatever that means) is a matter of complete indifference to him. All he was doing was asking what mods Dave or anyone else has used successfully on the '85K rather than recommendations for other drivers, or enclosures, be they good, bad or ugly.
Old 12th May 2008, 07:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Scottmoose,

Yes I am fully aware of all you say and agree with you. My point is a simple thanks but I am only interested in the FF85k would have sufficed, redundant, yes, but more pleasant a response.
Just seems harsh to me, maybe I'm too "nice".

Oh well... back to tea and scones for me!
Old 12th May 2008, 08:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

<<Off topic and harsh>>

It goes back a ways. I constantly see HM posting about his horns, out of context, and not infrequently putting down other designs in relation to his own pseudo-commercial offerings. I leave it to others (or the moderators) to deal with in "Their" threads, but when it's a post directed to me, I called BS. If you're behaving unethically (flooding the forum hawking your cheesy wares?) you're not my kind of person, and when appropo (and I honestly think it was, here) you'll get called on it.

<</Off topic and harsh>>

I'm looking at doing pretty much Dave (planet10)'s mod set, but would love to get some more feedback on these or other mods. I may well go to a standardized setup, and do proper tests (within my means) of the results of the mods.

Some others that people have liked (with other drivers):

Cutting 'extra' legs out of the frame for less backwave resistance
Bucking magnets and/or shielding the magnet
Grounding the frame

So just thinking about how to best treat these itty bitty drivers.
Old 12th May 2008, 09:00 PM   #8
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badman
<<Off topic and harsh>>

It goes back a ways. I constantly see HM posting about his horns, out of context, and not infrequently putting down other designs in relation to his own pseudo-commercial offerings. I leave it to others (or the moderators) to deal with in "Their" threads, but when it's a post directed to me, I called BS. If you're behaving unethically (flooding the forum hawking your cheesy wares?) you're not my kind of person, and when appropo (and I honestly think it was, here) you'll get called on it.

<</Off topic and harsh>>

I'm looking at doing pretty much Dave (planet10)'s mod set, but would love to get some more feedback on these or other mods. I may well go to a standardized setup, and do proper tests (within my means) of the results of the mods.

Some others that people have liked (with other drivers):

Cutting 'extra' legs out of the frame for less backwave resistance
Bucking magnets and/or shielding the magnet
Grounding the frame

So just thinking about how to best treat these itty bitty drivers.
Let me pipe in here

Horst does sometimes present as rather condescending and self-promoting, and in spite of numerous reminders of same, doesn't quite seem to get the message. This particular post was less offensive than some, and let's just let it go?

I've heard Dave's modded FF85K, and this already pretty interesting driver is definitely improved. I've posted before about how well it works as a wideband mid-range/tweeter - when we first fired them up before the treatment, it was on a small OB.

For very nearfield listening ( e.g. PC monitor ), bass augmentation might be "optional" rather than essential.

For a full-range (2 channel) audio set-up, powered woofers (XO circa 250/ 300Hz? ) would definitely be required.

The truly crazy man might want to try an OB line array

As for modifying the basket frame itself, I'd take a good look at the driver first. This piece has probably the highest ratio of magnet size/ weight to cone mass/Sd of any of the Fostex drivers. The diameter of the magnet assembly is such that removing legs of the basket frame would not likely gain much advantage in terms of early reflections, and would definitely weaken its integrity.

Now if Fostex was to incorporate a 3 legged machined or cast frame like on the FX1250 or the Sigma series (from which this driver almost looks orphaned), and/or utilize narrow diameter NEO /Alnico motors....

edit:
or shaped motor housings like the new ScanSpeak Illuminators,

I think I just specified another "dream" driver
Old 12th May 2008, 09:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm not Dave (obviously).

What I usually do to begin with is a fillet of epoxy (JB Weld is my brand of choice) between the frame and motor. Use the regular JB and not the 5 minute or the "waterweld" version.

Carpet felt "sock" on the motor.

I don't know if you would have space on so small a driver but a wrapping of carpet felt on the legs or on the internal surface of the legs, this is all is to aid kill the reflections back through the cone.
I have used felt in the past but do not detect any difference with it, ymmv.

On the surface of the enclosure itself around the perimeter of the driver a cork facing ~ 1/4" thick, you will not need a rebate for the driver if you do this.

If you build an enclosure and its not for OB usage, try a non box shape, as little damping material as possible, I have success with the damping material rolled into a cylindrical shape, its diameter as least as wide as the drivers and centered behind the motor.

Shellac the interior of the enclosure (keep glue lines free of same).

Give the driver lots of play time.
Old 12th May 2008, 10:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb The truly crazy man might want to try an OB line array
Can I opt for a sealed focused array?

Hide this!Advertise here!