Saburo project with elcheapo Pioneer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Considering building Saburo with Pioneer 4.5" (el cheapo) speakers. I had an excellent BIB with these...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-010&scqty=4

Frequency response: 70-15,000 Hz
Fs: 70 Hz
SPL: 90 dB 1W/1m
Vas: .31 cu. ft.
Xmax: 1.1mm Qms: 1.40 * Qes: .47 * Qts: .35

1. will the published dimensions work or any adjustment needed?
2. will consider adding the tweeter if more sparkle is needed with 2uF cap.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=275-025

comments or adivse will be appreciated.

gychang

Attachments

• 290-010m.jpg
    290-010m.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 913
Kensai said:
gychang,

Just FYI . . . below are the specs that were measured by one of us here . . . somewhere, for the A11.

Qms 1.96
Qes .82
Qts .578
Vas 3.43 l
Fs 109.14

Doesn't really jive with what we've seen the driver do, so I'm not sure what's up. Just thought you should know.

Kensai

Scottmoose said:
If those specs are accurate, forget it. Save a week or so longer for the 126.

Sounds like strong endorsement for 126, but I am very fond of the A11...:bawling:

OK, long & short of it. In this case, it doesn't matter how good a driver it is, it doesn't matter how cheap it is, it doesn't matter how fond of it you are. I did not design the Saburo cabinet for the A11. Drivers with specs. reasonably close to the aforementioned Fostex unit should slot in fairly well, though I can't state with certainty exactly how well they'll perform. But a cabinet is designed for a specific driver; anything else is simply a bonus.

It might work. The LF won't be as strong & it will certainly require a tweeter. But that's as far as I can personally take it. YMMV as always. My only request is that if it does not work to your satisfaction, don't blame me or the Saburo cabinet design. ;) No ulterior motive here, I just don't want you to potentially waste your time / money, which is why I'm advise against it.

Yes. It's the "el cheapo" inspired by your build thread.

I love the sound - it's a bit on the darkside. Great lows and mids and little lacking on the shine but very enjoyable overall.

I've been using them with an LM3875 non-inverted chipamp which seems to be WAY too powerful for them. I keep the volume at just a couple of clicks for comfortable listening levels.

Thanks for getting the word out about the A11.

maxdd_nj said:
Yes. It's the "el cheapo" inspired by your build thread.

I love the sound - it's a bit on the darkside. Great lows and mids and little lacking on the shine but very enjoyable overall.

I've been using them with an LM3875 non-inverted chipamp which seems to be WAY too powerful for them. I keep the volume at just a couple of clicks for comfortable listening levels.

Thanks for getting the word out about the A11.
You should add a tweeter and report back...the B20 was as described as well then came to life when I added the tweeter...

I found myself wanting a tweeter on the A11 less that I'd want one on the B20. I use the B20 solo with careful EQ in the digital domain ahead of it and, while I readily admit its treble isn't the best I've heard, with my phase plugs and EnABL mod, its right up there. The A11 BiBs I made are living in a corner of my buddy's place, driven by a broken, low end Pioneer receiver with the "loudness" control set to ON, and they fill his 24'x16' room with a 14' ceiling from about 40Hz on up. Again, not even approaching perfection to my ears, but he was nearly brought to tears when he heard some of his favorite tracks over them for the first time, so apparently, plenty good enough, eh?

Kensai

I prefer the A11 BIB over the sealed bipole FR125 (front) / WR125 with ApexJR tweeter (back) that you see in the background of the above photo. The dynamics and bass/mid performance of the A11 BIB is smooth and just sounds right. Not to mention the great punch and snap of a 4.5" driver. Sounds like live music.

The only reason I notice the missing shimmer on top - my other system uses the FE207e in small bass reflex which has no shortage of brightness. Some prefer a "darker" or "dry" sound. Friends have said my BIBs sound "warm" others can't believe that tiny driver was the only driver - "Where do you have the other drivers mounted on that huge enclosure?"

I am curious what the other 4.5" drivers sound like in this cab. I would love to hear the Planet_10 126's.

Gychang, Sorry to get a bit off topic in your thread. Have you used the 126 in any of your other builds? What did you think?

I mentioned the A11 months back and response was it wouldn't work.

No offense to anyone, I started my reading on another forum that as it turned out was just , in fact, pretty much anti horn, FR, and TL.

I've done all kinds of experiments with OSB and drivers that weren't supposed 'to work' in this or that configuration and pleased at least my own ear on several occasions.

I'm happy to hear this about the little Pio. I like that driver.

Bluto

maxdd_nj said:
The dynamics and bass/mid performance of the A11 BIB is smooth and just sounds right. Not to mention the great punch and snap of a 4.5" driver. Sounds like live music.

Gychang, Sorry to get a bit off topic in your thread. Have you used the 126 in any of your other builds? What did you think?

I was mildly shocked at the quality of BIB with A11 (el cheapo). It has to be the best speaker one can build for the price-sound ratio point of view.

I have not used 126 at all, for some reason I find Fostex speakers unattractive visually and for the price point I have been totally satisfied with the el cheapo.

As odd as this may sound, the highs on the A-11 seem to get better as they age. I used a tweeter for the first few months but the A-11 kept getting brighter so I took the tweeter off. I dont think I was "getting used to their sound" because I also have 206ESR BIB's in the other room.
The A-11 has to be one of the best deals in audio.

Bluto said:
Max & Gychang -

Can you share your cabinet dimensions for your A11 BIBs?

Appreciated.

Bluto

Here is the dimensions I used, suggested by Scottmoose.

El Cheapo speaker BIB demension: (Scottmoose), 4 1/2” pioneer.

"Try a 120in line length, driver at 24in down from the sealed end, 70in^2 terminus area. Inside demensions: 7x10, height:60, speaker placement: 24” from top to middle of the speaker, inside slanting baffle ends 5” from the floor and 5” from front and 5” from back"

gychang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.