diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Saburo project with elcheapo Pioneer (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/122611-saburo-project-elcheapo-pioneer.html)

gychang 6th May 2008 10:33 PM

Saburo project with elcheapo Pioneer
 
2 Attachment(s)
Considering building Saburo with Pioneer 4.5" (el cheapo) speakers. I had an excellent BIB with these...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...90-010&scqty=4

Frequency response: 70-15,000 Hz
Fs: 70 Hz
SPL: 90 dB 1W/1m
Vas: .31 cu. ft.
Xmax: 1.1mm Qms: 1.40 * Qes: .47 * Qts: .35

1. will the published dimensions work or any adjustment needed?
2. will consider adding the tweeter if more sparkle is needed with 2uF cap.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=275-025

comments or adivse will be appreciated.

gychang

Scottmoose 7th May 2008 07:41 AM

It won't be ideal but you'll probably get away with it. Mind you, the 126 isn't exactly an expensive unit, so if you really can't use the drivers it was designed for at first, you should be able to upgrade fairly quickly in the future.

Kensai 7th May 2008 05:13 PM

gychang,

Just FYI . . . below are the specs that were measured by one of us here . . . somewhere, for the A11.

Qms 1.96
Qes .82
Qts .578
Vas 3.43 l
Fs 109.14

Doesn't really jive with what we've seen the driver do, so I'm not sure what's up. Just thought you should know.

Kensai

Scottmoose 7th May 2008 05:36 PM

If those specs are accurate, forget it. Save a week or so longer for the 126.

gychang 7th May 2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kensai
gychang,

Just FYI . . . below are the specs that were measured by one of us here . . . somewhere, for the A11.

Qms 1.96
Qes .82
Qts .578
Vas 3.43 l
Fs 109.14

Doesn't really jive with what we've seen the driver do, so I'm not sure what's up. Just thought you should know.

Kensai


Quote:

Originally posted by Scottmoose
If those specs are accurate, forget it. Save a week or so longer for the 126.
Sounds like strong endorsement for 126, but I am very fond of the A11...:bawling:

maxdd_nj 7th May 2008 09:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A11 Rules! It's *******' $10

Scottmoose 7th May 2008 09:39 PM

OK, long & short of it. In this case, it doesn't matter how good a driver it is, it doesn't matter how cheap it is, it doesn't matter how fond of it you are. I did not design the Saburo cabinet for the A11. Drivers with specs. reasonably close to the aforementioned Fostex unit should slot in fairly well, though I can't state with certainty exactly how well they'll perform. But a cabinet is designed for a specific driver; anything else is simply a bonus.

It might work. The LF won't be as strong & it will certainly require a tweeter. But that's as far as I can personally take it. YMMV as always. My only request is that if it does not work to your satisfaction, don't blame me or the Saburo cabinet design. ;) No ulterior motive here, I just don't want you to potentially waste your time / money, which is why I'm advise against it.

gychang 7th May 2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by maxdd_nj
A11 Rules! It's *******' $10

is this a BIB?, how does it sound?

gychang

maxdd_nj 7th May 2008 10:14 PM

Yes. It's the "el cheapo" inspired by your build thread.

I love the sound - it's a bit on the darkside. Great lows and mids and little lacking on the shine but very enjoyable overall.

I've been using them with an LM3875 non-inverted chipamp which seems to be WAY too powerful for them. I keep the volume at just a couple of clicks for comfortable listening levels.

Thanks for getting the word out about the A11.

Fast1one 7th May 2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by maxdd_nj
Yes. It's the "el cheapo" inspired by your build thread.

I love the sound - it's a bit on the darkside. Great lows and mids and little lacking on the shine but very enjoyable overall.

I've been using them with an LM3875 non-inverted chipamp which seems to be WAY too powerful for them. I keep the volume at just a couple of clicks for comfortable listening levels.

Thanks for getting the word out about the A11.

You should add a tweeter and report back...the B20 was as described as well then came to life when I added the tweeter...


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:22 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2