Saburo project with elcheapo Pioneer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The size of a A11 BIB according to the spreadsheets is:
Driver Pio A11
Fs 70
Vas 0.31
Qts 0.35
Line Length 96.175
Folded Height 48.088
Vb 1.669
Sm 59.977
Depth 9.210
Width 6.512
zdriver 20.870
a-b-c 4.605

Cabinet
Wood Width 0.750
Outside Dimensions
Width 8.012
Depth 10.710
Height 48.838

Rounded Dimensions
Width 8.000
Depth 10.500
Height 49

Cut Boards Per Box
Front/Back 2 each
Width 8.000
Length 49.000
Sides 2 each
Width 9.000
Length 49.000
Slant 1 each
Width 6.500
Length 44.500
Bottom 1 each
Width 6.500
Length 9.000

Absolutely love my pair. They are built closer to the above dims. Definetely work good for heavier music.

Attachments

• 100_0617.jpg
    100_0617.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 529
John,
The tweeter is:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=275-070

I believe that the crossover was a simple 1st order at 2.5k. That was dictated by the parts on hand. Have meant to go back and update. They sound decent, but a bit harsh in the mid, and a bit reserved at the top. My recent pair though, used:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=297-416

Crossed these over closer to 10k. Much brighter sound, "more cowbell" on the top end. Due to the nature of the music they play, wanted a bit more aggression for the cymbols. Still 1st order cross. And, ran the tweet in reverse polarity. The HiVi set may work well with the A11. Also, A11's were treated with a couple coats of Damar.

Attachments

• untitled-1 copy.jpg
    untitled-1 copy.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 482
MightyM,
If in the area, drop a line.

Gychang, with you on this project. Have 2 pairs of A11's collecting dust. My big quesion is, would it be worthwhile to re design the cabinet to have one of the vents, top or bottom, face opposite of the other. This would load the cabinet front and back, towards a wall or corner.? Scott or Dave hopefully can answer this. If it needs to be tested, would love to try it.

Gychang,

I know it's OT, but how did you like the BIB w/ " El Cheapo" ?

Do you feel it needs a tweeter?

Your dim's are somewhat larger than the dims Zayne742 came up with from the excel worksheet, how did you find the lower tuning re: performance?

I've looked at several of your builds on various designs, how would you rate the " El Cheapo" BIB in comparison to other designs?

John

mightym said:
Gychang,

I know it's OT, but how did you like the BIB w/ " El Cheapo" ?

Do you feel it needs a tweeter?

Your dim's are somewhat larger than the dims Zayne742 came up with from the excel worksheet, how did you find the lower tuning re: performance?

I've looked at several of your builds on various designs, how would you rate the " El Cheapo" BIB in comparison to other designs?

John

El Cheapo is the tops in my book!, for the price and simplicity. I did not need a separate tweeter for my use of popular and classical music.

109249854-L.jpg

My BIB cabinet is larger and I was glad I built the larger one recommended by Scottmoose, did not use the Excel sheet I was shocked at the sound. Bass was surprising and more than adequate for my needs (I don't listen to rock, no problems at all with classical music)

My Pioneer 8"+tweeter combo seem better, certainly fits in better with our furniture, but I would have no difficulty living with ElCheapo BIB alone..

2-3-200810-13-17AM.jpg

more samples are here:
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x199/gychang/?start=20

I hope this is helpful. My ElCheapo BIB has been snatched by my relative and I am considering building another...

gychang

Suggestion: present her with a selection of drawings, sans dimensions, and preferably with pictures of high quality builds, that you select. Make sure you put nothing in there that you're not interested in, ensure the aforementioned pictures do not make the speakers look over-large, or the fact that there might be other options. Then let her choose which of those you present to her that she likes most (or dislikes least). While you're at it, get her to choose the eventual finish. It's likely that there'll be something in there (assuming, say, 3 or more options) that she will give the nod to, even if it's a little reluctant.

Oh yes -top tip: make sure the first thing she hears through them, once finished, is her favourite piece of music. Or that new CD she's been meaning to buy, hasn't yet, & you cunningly aquired for specifically this purpose, complete with box of chocolates / flowers / whatever for being so supportive.

While double BVR's and BiB's are a bit tall for the treatment, I remind you that floorstanders make ideal plant stands. A plant that drapes down one side can be rather elegant and WAF skyrockets with zero compromise to SQ. They will also support pictures and figurines. When she does the final setup, resistance tends to fade.

My MLTL's in the HT room have a draping plant on the left one and a bamboo plant and a picture on the right. I would post a picture except I am out of town at the moment.

Bob

From the Mouse, to the Moose.

I like the way you think!

Just the excuse I've needed to learn sketch-up. Alas, negotiations have been underway for some time already. We've been Married for Twenty-five years. The current state of negotiations include a new 16/9 Telly, and HT set-up. I've been showing her some of the pictures posted on the BIB thread to "warm her Up". We'll be replacing an entertainment center purchased in the '80s, and I do plan to present visual aids along with a completed proposal.

Current state of evolution is to tart-up the cabinets to resemble mission style, with a nice Honey-Oak finish. The TV will Wall mount above a Decware "Wicked One" Sub. turned outlet down and raised 6" or so off the floor. This will be flanked with the BIB's a center channel will ride atop the sub directly under the TV. Centerchannel and surround speakers are still TBD.

She's not extremely picky, I have to make this all fit the available space, and look presentable( she doesn't like visible drivers ). I also have to figure out where to put the bookshelf I'll have to displace to fit this all in. A bridge to cross when I come to it.

John

BTW, I miss the bloodhound.

Mr. Brines, I missed your post while I was composing previous reply.

The Problem with plants is that the four-legged-furry-purring-lapwarmers we're serving then think they are in the jungle, and act accordingly. Cat proofing is something that is so ingrained in my psyche, I don't have to think about it, it's part of the process. ALL items must be stable enough to survive climbing, and jumping to and fro. Many years ago I lost a set of ADS bookshelf speakers to a very fat fluffy cat named " Spike the fluffy cat " who thought he could walk behind an 11" deep speaker on a 12" deep shelf. Acoustic suspension speakers just don't sound the same when you knock the corner of the cabinet OFF !

Spike found a new mommy.

I'm still around, several cats later......

John

mightym,

If you look back in post #26 at the picture of my newest set. You will see a false panel that is removable. That is exactly for the prevention of stuck furball removal. It also helps keep the stuffing in place in the cabinet, and not throughout the house. For some reason, they liked to sleep atop the last set. Just a word of advice, if they do fall in, tip and run!

I did wonder about your "lid". I'm going to have to do a sketch, and post it. I'm thinking that I'll have to raise the driver slightly ( thus raising the top of the cabinet too ) to put it alongside the screen. I'd planned to "fill" the cavity at the bottom with ballast to prevent "cat tipping". Our felines are too lazy to jump that high anyway ( I know, famous last words...).

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.