Active Pico Lino 2 Design: Pico Rucksack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many of you might know the Pico Lino 2 full-range loudspeakers, a small monitor design based on a full-range driver by Vifa released by the German DIY magazine Hobby-Hifi. They sound fabulous!

The original design utilizes an inductor, a cap and a resistor in parallel to attenuate the mid freq range, which is normally over emphasized, but I decided to build my own amps (gainclones) for these cuties to make them "active" and simply included the EQ network into the amp using a gyrator instead of an inductor.

One of my design goals was to end up with a no-compromise amp to be placed on the backs of the Pico Linos to amplify the signal and to correct the frequency response. Backpack = Rucksack in German, so I named the project "Pico Rucksack".

First impression after listening tests? Outstanding!!! And way better than the original version with that LCR thiggy and a conventional amp - took two minutes of A/Bing to realize that.

Best of all, the EQ curve can be freely set depending on the listening room and taste. Well, actually the mids can not just be attenuated, but also boosted. You can't do that the passive way, can you?

Hope you enjoy the reading and can successfully build a Pico Rucksack, too.

Here's the full documentation: http://audio.kubarth.com/pico_rucksack/
Any kind of feedback is very welcome!

Thanks for reading.

All the best,
Darius Kubarth

Ps: Kudos to everybody who posted gain clone schematics before (carlosfm, etc.). I found some really great inspirations around here.

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, I have the drawings, but on paper only. Anyway, I highly recommend to order the issue from the publisher to get plenty of good articles and to support the designer - thus we can expect more great designs in the future, too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.