Gabriel build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

This is my first build so I thought, for what its worth, I would post details of my efforts for the world to see / admire / laugh at. Also, as the sum total of my knowledge is pilfered from here I felt the need to give something back.

For no other reason than the variety of designs available for the Fostex FE127E (at http://www.planet10-hifi.com - thanks folks) I decided to start with a pair of those.

I chose the Gabriel (see, http://www.frugal-horn.com/spawn-plans.html) as it looked easy to build and I really fancy the idea of a horn.

So here goes, any tips, advice or questions post 'em here.

Al

The drivers are running in, sat in the box they came in.

A bit sibilant and not much bass unless you lift one up, but I have heard much worse in gear costing much more.

So considering they are both in an un-ported box knocked up with sticky tape - I think it bodes well.

john blackburn said:
Hi Alistair72.

Looking forward to it. I've got a pair of FR125s in small ported boxes here. As the saying goes, I will show you mine if you show me yours!

I'm currently on the Wirral if you get time.

John

Cheers John, I am currently under moderation (still - ;) hint to the powers that be) so don't appear to be able to post normally or do pictures. But I have a fist full of pics and I have only done a few joints.

We could have a get together with our speakers at a motorway services. It would be like Chorley FM... (Pheonix Nights ref for southerners/foreigners).

Alistair

Ok still working out how to post pictures, but thanks to Cal for rubbing aniseed on my legs and setting me running...

Here is my running in rig for the drivers

Attachments

• fw127.jpg
    fw127.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,231
Taking shape...

I read this book on glue the other day, fascinating, I just couldn't put it down - Tommy Cooper I think ;)

I really didn't intend doing this much - I'm doing an MSc part time and have short time scales for my assignment work - I had planned on getting a work bench and a few more clamps and some off cuts to practice on. So I guess you can say I am hooked now.

I had asked about glue on the Spawn thread, but thought that being a newb the ability to move stuff around outweighed the speed benefits of a quick set glue. I am trying to take this one slow and not make any silly mistakes.

This'll be it for a week or so as I have a ton of work for my MSc. However I have some fun with a router to come, need to sort out the bracing and figure out how and what to stuff it with.

Oh and mustn't forget the binding posts...

Thanks for plans, advice, comments and encouragement thus far,

Al

Attachments

• cab2.jpg
    cab2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,088
Hi Folks,

I'm back. Been dead busy on other stuff, but have loads of pics and few questions before the final gluing.

Namely, how much stuffing should these have? It'll be a pig to get stuff out or in one the sides go on. So I want to be as right as I can.

I got a load of 1 inch thick wool wadding of a mate and have lined the front of the box i.e. back of the driver and both sides of the baffle, but this looks a bit over-kill to my uninitiated eye. I can post pics of what I have once I figured out how to do so again.

Cheers,

Al

Scottmoose said:
1in material is a bit OTT. As I've said before on the subject, top, back, & one side-wall. 1/2in wool felt or carpet underlay is ideal, don't block the throats. Do not line the front baffle.

Cheers Scott,

I was about to completely over stuff them. The material will tear apart quite easily so I can thin it out.

I am presuming the front is the bit with the driver attached. Is this the front baffle? Do I need to line over the little triangular piece (that stops throat to throat chat) in the back ensuring that I don't block the throats.

All a bit confusing for a newb - but I am getting quite excited to get them running now.

Thanks,

Al

chops said:
attachment.php

Okay, I understand the cardboard box, the CD player, the Sonic T-amp and the Prodigy - "Fat of the Land" CD, but what was the hammer for?!

LOL! ;)

The hammer was just for scale - or I might have been hanging some pictures that week :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.