Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2008, 09:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Default CarderSound Madisons

I'll soon be in possession of a pair of CarderSound Madisons that are being built by Jeff Carder for me. This is actually a rendition of the Sachiko from the Frugal-Horn sight.

Mine is being upgraded to Rosewood Veneer and using a gold/silver/copper alloy wire that's gold plated internally. My question is this it comes stock with a Fostex FE206 driver. However I have a pair of NIB Fostex FE206ESRs and a pair of used but like new Fostex F200As.

Any ideas on which driver will sound best or what the pluses and minuses of each driver is?
Old 2nd May 2008, 09:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, FWIW I designed them for the FE206E. F200a = not a great match -it's not really ideal for this type of horn loading at least. OTOH, FE206ES-R = OK as parameters are similar to the intended (standard) unit & I deliberately put a little leeway into the enclosure to account for sample variability, different amps etc. A couple have been completed with the ES-R -a black pair is pictured on the FH site actually. Whether it would be an upgrade over the stock unit in this particular cabinet or not, I suspect will be down to individual preference. The standard unit is flatter in the LF & lower mids, but the ES-R has superior mounting & probably beats it in the rest of the mids & HF, so YMMV.
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've heard the Sachiko with both the 206E and the 206ESR. The ESR is more refined IMO and very revealing. The bass is tighter and more accurate as well, again, my opinion. The ESR took FOREVER to break in though, so if you do decide to go with it, don't be dissapointed upon the initial listen. Give it lots of time.
Old 3rd May 2008, 03:04 AM   #4
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
I recently built a pair for use with a pair of FE206ES-R's. They sound great. I have a pair of Dave's phase plugs that I'm planning on using with them, but I have to work up the courage to put the ES-R's under the knife...

Scott, since you have experience with the FE208E sigmas, do you think they'd work alright with the Sachikos? I'm thinking about trying them with a ribbon tweeter - either those or the ES-R's in the Sachikos are going to be my final speaker for a long time, but I don't want to lay out the cash and waste the time if they probably won't work well.
Old 3rd May 2008, 08:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Should do OK, but again, you'd really need a cabinet that's actually designed for them to extract all their potential. I wouldn't use a ribbon personally, I prefer horn loaded tweeters, but YMMV.
Old 3rd May 2008, 09:55 PM   #6
gnugear is offline gnugear  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Scott, I have another Lowther Sachiko question ...

I know you said the Lowther will work okay, but the "okay" is kind of worrying me since I already really love them in my BIB. If I want to use them for the Sachiko would you change any of the dimensions to make them more of a perfect match with the Lowther DX4s? I really want it optimized for that particular driver since it's such a commitment in terms of size!

By the way, you MUST post pics of the rosewood Madisounds ... I bet they'll look stunning.
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well, really, you design a cabinet for a specific set of drivers, so if you want to extract the optimum from them, then that's what you do. Short of that, then Sachiko should do a good job, & you can tweak to taste.

Hide this!Advertise here!