DX2 & Eminence 15" OB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2008, 04:59 PM   #1
britbug is offline britbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DX2 & Eminence 15" OB

I am thinking of doing a hybrid of the MJK open baffle projects that have received attention.
A Lowther DX 2, beefed up in the base with an Eminence Alpha 15 " combo, and crossed passively.
Does anyone know if :
2 15" per side will be enough, and whether I should use U or H frame on one or both?
Should I parallel or series the woofers?
ta

g
Old 2nd May 2008, 05:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

How much is 'enough?' Not being awkward, just that it's something of a variable point so it's difficult to answer without more specific information.
Old 2nd May 2008, 06:00 PM   #3
britbug is offline britbug  United States
diyAudio Member

I guess what I mean is make sure it is not bass-deficient in comparison to the > 200Hz of the DX2 (which is pretty efficient).

I can pad down the lowther a bit to suit (more than 2 woofers per side will make for a big speaker) but don't want to lose too much of their sensitivity either.

Good Q
Old 2nd May 2008, 06:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You'll probably gain a good bit of flexibility by multi-amping, with a separate amp for your woofers. That's really the way you should go -- otherwise level-matching will be more difficult, and require more sophisticated math. If you multi-amp, you'll be able to just tweak it until it 'sounds right'.
Old 2nd May 2008, 11:48 PM   #5
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

I did some quick numbers (less than 5 minutes invested) and found that a Lowther DX2 with a pair of Alpha 15A woofers per side would work in a reasonably sized (24" x 48") baffle with a passive crossover. You would get a system with 95.5 dB/w/m efficiency down to 50 Hz where it would roll off at 18 dB/octave. If done right this could be a real interesting passive OB system.

A U frame or H frame could be used to extend the bass lower but you would need to pad down the Lowther so the final system would loss a few dB in efficiency. I would stick with the simple OB geometry.

Hope that helps,
Old 3rd May 2008, 01:02 AM   #6
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been running some sims on cuved U frames(vert curve) for OB applications using my curved mouth exit on horns programming. Its more of a tuning effect(think rear waveguide) with no resonance effect.
This was done for the accomplishment of the BVR/OB combo. Scott led me into the BVR application and i have been doing a study into the actions for various driver applications. Its interesting as there is no TL acton involved so the final action is an expansion of BR BW with a slight greater loading of the driver over a BR application (horn loading).

ron
Old 4th May 2008, 10:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

What about this baffle?

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Mods:

1 - Bi-Amping

2 - Active filters (or digital filters from PC)

3 - 8" Fullrange high sensitivity (I have a couple spare FE206) instead of the Seas 90 dB mid driver

4 - 2 pairs of Alpha

5 - (optional) a pair of high efficiency compression drivers (B&C DE250?)

Target would be very high SPL at listening position. Would the Alpha be enough?
Old 5th May 2008, 12:15 AM   #8
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by thomaseliot [/i

Target would be very high SPL at listening position. Would the Alpha be enough? [/B]
Very high SPL's at the listening position is not a good idea for your hearing if your wanting to enjoy music for the years to come etc..
Dave
Old 5th May 2008, 12:42 AM   #9
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCan

Very high SPL's at the listening position is not a good idea for your hearing if your wanting to enjoy music for the years to come etc..
Dave

speakers with high spl is ok, you don't have turn the amplifier way up, listen at low level is still ok!
Old 5th May 2008, 12:54 AM   #10
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ttan98

speakers with high spl is ok, you don't have turn the amplifier way up, listen at low level is still ok!
Yep, I know that... Just made the comment because his ''Target'' is very high spl's at the listening position, and unless your wanting to fry your hearing??? Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!