JX6R HD: Any News on NA Availability? A Good Substitute?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings -

I've been lurking for quite some time and decided today was the day to post. I've learned a ton re fullrange drivers here. In fact, I was encouraged to try the Fostex FF85K from what I had read here. Needless to say, I got hooked. Now is the time for the next step, which should be a pair of sealed mini monitors and sub. That brings me to the Jordan JX6R HD.

Does anyone know when the JX6R HD will be available in the US or Canada? At what price in US$?

Is there a good substitute until the the Jordan unit becomes available? I love the FF85K, but the rising top end annoys me. A 3" cone or smaller and a Qts suitable for a sealed cab is what I am after.

Regards,

Karl Lewis

I noticed that last night when I was looking at the Veravox 3 on the Solen site. BTW, that driver has some nice specs for my application, especially the high Qts and the fairly low Fs. However, there was no response graph available.

This "system" is intended to provide the dispersion and coherence I love about small single drivers and to fill out the bass. Going to a sub below 150Hz, say, seems reasonable. The idea was inspired Ted Jordan's notion of one JX6R HD (or four, as he seems to prefer) per channel, wall-mounted, and a sub. The trick, apparently, is that his driver will do this with no problem. Other units may not integrate quite as well.

I am very open to ideas. Doesn't Visaton or Monacor have ~2" (60mm) drivers that one of own here has tried successfully? Are they available in the US?

Regards,

Karl

Bob -

Thanks for the heads-up on the new Markaudio drivers. I am very glad to see the development of small full range/wide range drivers continuing.

The response for each looks rather ragged. However, I do wonder how much of an audible effect this has. One of the major attractions of the JX6 is its "flat-as-a-board" response. Would wall-mounting smooth response "bumps"?

Have you tried either one? If so, have you compared it to the JX-53/JX6R HD or any other 2"-3" unit?

Regards,

Karl

Karl,

I have both the older Mark Audio J6T as well as a pair of prototpe Alpair 5 copper. My first inventory of the 5s will ship from Hong Kong next week and I will have both versions available.

As a one time Jordan distributor (and long time user) I know more about Jordan, Mark Auio, EAD, etc. than I'm allowed to share. Once we have production drivers we will do some measurments but I have been doing this long enough to know that not everyone uses the same scales and resolution (smoothing?) when posting frequency response measurments. Until the J6X RD is back in production and someone can do comparative measurements comparisons aren't really relevant.

FYI Mark Audio is also working on additional larger cone drivers so things could get interesting.

Bob

I haven't done a lot of experimentation with them yet but I'm currently using the JXR6s in a 2.4 litre ceramic enclosure, which gives a roll-off about 120Hz (Ted recommends 3 litre as optimum). I've a Rega sub which I then roll in about this level down to around 30Hz, which is the lowest my room will manage. As I say, I could do with more playing around to match levels and position. Building work in the house has prevented me getting to it lately.

The JXR6s actually work quite well on their own if placed in corners or near a wall but then I don't listen loud. They sound good if fired straight ahead so could be built into a wall.

Chris -

I have heard nothing, including from the American distributor, regarding the availability of the Jordan units. I've given up on them.

I have since moved onto (or back to) headphones since my daughter accidently blew out my Fostex FF85K drivers. Just prior to "The Incident", I was very seriously considering 4 Ohm Bandor 50 units. I may still do it in the future. I have spoken with Doreen Jordan, the owner of Bandor, and found her to be most pleasant, knowledgeable, and insightful. She has been very generous with her time in answering my questions. Right now, they are simply too expensive for me to import from the UK.

Regards,

I've recently decided to make my own system. Line array will suit my audio and home cine needs so i'm going to experiment over the winter. I looked at Jordan's JXr some time ago but couldn't get supplied. Jordan's price also put me off, especially as I want to make my system in 2 sets of 4 drivers.

I'm really interested in Markaudio's Alpair 6 in the rectangle basket as they fit together. I like their specs. Fo of 74Hz looks very good, Vas 3.3 litres and the response is near flat. I like their web site price, it's going to make my project build cheaper.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.