Coral 10 Coral 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
During construction

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

After

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

We altered the front baffle to be flush not like on the original plans all for the better I will say.

After some more time on them I will measure them and post the results.

Coral 8 drivers

Coral 10 drivers

The finish was to be satin oil finish only as requested by the customer.

Well thanks for the comments.
These are being used now with some 300b's I will get a list of equipment if my client will allow me to post his list ;)

My thoughts.
Well I let them burn in for 48hrs each set before I sat down for a listen here before I delivered them.
My over all perspective is shocking the way they respond completely different to vocals from each pair. Different is not a way to respond but shockingly difference.

With my client it took him a few years to get these drivers which are near perfect each pair. He does have a few other sets even a set of 10 passives as well. Yesterday we went over a few other options for a pair of 10 passives he has collected as well.With continuing to collet the Coral drivers he does want more of these built.

Imaging on the 10 seam effortless and more enjoyable than the 8.But this was only after a few minutes at his place without removing his large Tanny's from the listing area, just put them down and listen.

Over all my personal favourite of the 2 were the 10.

What my client was stunned with is he has 2 different speakers completly.

Veneering these cabinets to a mirror pair was a lot of work and looking at doing any others the cost would be more than we charged on these.
Now did it stop this customer? No as a fact he now wants a second pair of 8's for a family member ASAP.

We did alter the original plans as the plans as drawn several years ago had the front baffle set back from the sides and top, which was common for several designs of that vintage. But we made the driver chamber a little different to the plans plus more bracing in a few locations that could be a issue.

In the next few posts I will put up some measurements.

OK here goes for those who look at measurments.

First off the Coral 8

Nearfield

Now the frequency response.

Impedance

Next the Coral 10

Now for a few other measurments.
Attached are a few different speakers measured in the same room.
FR125S driver in a PE curved cabinet
Dave D 127
Dave D FR125
Greg person FR125 speakers.

I used these to show other fullrange speakers measured as referance in the same room.

With some off axis measurments to boot.

First off the Coral 10 compaired to the others on axis.

Coral 8 compaired to others

RAW said:
Now how to the Coral 10 Coral 8 look against the others.

very interesting indeed that the 10" measures smoother overall, and more extend HF response than the 8"

out of curiosity, which of Dave's enclosures for the FE127 and FR125?

I will have to look at the photos of last time you and Dave were over.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm real surprised as well regards the flatness of the FR125 but wonder even more what is is about the P.E. cabinet that both increases it's efficiency while at the same time causing that dip?

I don't think that the PE box actually affects the efficeincy....

Dave FE127 box would be Fonkens from the most recent trip, FR125 would be the aperiodic miniOnkens that we built for Bob.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.