Full range issue - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2008, 02:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Default Full range issue

I was looking at some of the larger planet-10 full range horns but due to some serious changes in family circumstances and finances I need a more 'family' friendly' speaker. My goals are:

1. I want to use my trends amp

2. Need to be very close to the wall, if not mounted against it

3. Must be full range from a single driver as possible (listen to everything - classical to rock, dance to jazz...the whole shebang)

I really like the look of Ted Jordan's TL with the jx92 but the driver is too expensive and not efficient enough for the Trends amp. The main thing is the thinness and its ability to be placed against a wall.

Can I do something similar with a Fostex (maybe 206E for bass), only wider, taller and slightly deeper?
Old 29th April 2008, 02:34 PM   #2
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

"Half Chili" with FE167e ?

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...v91-130108.pdf
Old 29th April 2008, 02:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/tom-zHorn.html
Old 29th April 2008, 03:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks tinitus. The Chilli is too deep I'm afraid.....

Scottmoose.....that looks better but the linked page says in part 'A number of builds of this design have shown that it is not ready for prime time and cannot be recommended as designed. There is a closed in, colored midrange character that overwelms any positives.'

I would love to think I could experiment with it and get it working fine but I'm not that competent! I must say I prefer the side exit for the horn to the Jordan design though. Could I do something similar with a large more efficient driver like the 166 or 206?
Old 29th April 2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Vek

Perhaps something like this?
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/cornu/cornu.html
Old 29th April 2008, 03:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRKO
Thanks tinitus. The Chilli is too deep I'm afraid.....

Scottmoose.....that looks better but the linked page says in part 'A number of builds of this design have shown that it is not ready for prime time and cannot be recommended as designed. There is a closed in, colored midrange character that overwelms any positives.'

I would love to think I could experiment with it and get it working fine but I'm not that competent! I must say I prefer the side exit for the horn to the Jordan design though. Could I do something similar with a large more efficient driver like the 166 or 206?

Did you read the part directly above that marked 'update' in red, post-dating the problems encountered with the CSS unit & noting that the 127 works very well?
Old 29th April 2008, 03:49 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JRKO
As the update just before that sas, these work fine with FE127e (we didn't want to burn the bamboo boxes so we searched & searched. With the idea that the synergy between PAWO & FE127 was accidental, Mileva was purposely designed for FE127 in a similar format. Demetri is the variation for the larger drivers (167 & 207). I also intend to rework this for another variation from Scott for the FE167 that would be slightl smaller.

Quote:
166/206 tend to prefer horns. The series resistance required to make them play in more normal boxes negates any advantages they might have.

dave
Old 29th April 2008, 03:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ah!

Sorry Scottmoose (edit) and Dave I took the whole paragraph as one

What sort of bass extension can I expect from these drivers?

I may be able to get those Enabled drivers now Dave! How is the supply?

Will my Trends make a good fist of Jazz, dance etc with these cabs?
Old 29th April 2008, 04:01 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

For Mileva & Demetri you will need to email me for the plans... FE166/167/206/207eN are trickling out as special order items. I am almost at the point of having regular stock on FE126/127eN

dave
Old 29th April 2008, 04:53 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vek
Perhaps something like this?
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/cornu/cornu.html

Doesn't look like a particularly easy build

The Mileva on the other hand, certainly is - and works wonderfully with the FE127E (stock or EnABLed)

Having now spent the best part of a year listening to numerous enclosure designs with the FE127En, we finally got around to playing with the FX120 (for now in a not yet optimized Fonken enclosure - thanks for the loan, Jeff) .

With due consideration for current discussions elsewhere on this forum regarding SPL target levels, etc., etc., the sensitivity & power handling of this driver will be a little low for some applications or expectations * For example, frequent readers will be familiar with my small room and modest listening levels - a couple of hour listening session last night with my 3w Paramour amps was quite enjoyable indeed, but of course YMMV. (*I'm sure Earl G would be laffin his a$$off at the thought)

However, disclaimer aside, this is one very sweet driver, with a much smoother upper midrange and substantially more tactile bass response (from a 4.5" driver? ) .

T/S parameters are close enough to FE127E that perhaps only minor tuning adjustments would be required for optimal results in existing designs. Not, however a direct drop-in replacement for the FE series - mounting flange is thicker and straight edged not pincushion .

Nor is the $102 per driver an easy replacement for everyone's budget, but IINM still less than current JS92X pricing

Hide this!Advertise here!