Ceinwyn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few month ago I asked Scott and Dave about a Spawn for the Fostex FE168Esigma, in other words a preview of the Ceinwyn. After a few emails I got the numbers that allowed me to draw a cabinet. A small change made it possible to use 1530x1530mm ply because bigger sheets are much more expensive and a lot harder to find overhere. As these things go other things got in the way. But I have finally started to build them now. See pics below.

Attachments

• ceinwyn open1.jpg
    ceinwyn open1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,791
I have been listening now for a few days and it is a bit of a mixed bag till now. Compared to the Bibs they replace they seem cleaner in the midrange and with a bit more top end. At the same time on things like male voice they sound recessed and not "alive". Bass is very boomy and one note. As a test I have stuffed one of the ports and that seems to help but of course that shouldn't be the way to go.
I guess stuffing is key here but I don't really know what to try. If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful.
Thanks,
Peter

Scottmoose said:
Have you lined all of the interior with damping material, as required by the design? That should help. Mind, just about anything short of an OB is going to sound somewhat boomy after a pipe horn like the BIB.

Hi Scott,
I have a layer of BAF on the bottom, the top, on the sides and front but not close to the driver and nothing on the back. Is that the right way?

Even if it is supposed to be a little boomier than the BIB it shouldn't be this bad.
Peter

Ps. thanks again for giving me the numbers to build this :) :)

Scottmoose said:
All of the interior. 1in thick layer of material. Something like this Soniqs sold by World Designs: http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/Speaker_Parts.html

Ok, I will try. Do you know if this stuff is very different from ordinary white Baf? (I don't think I will be able to get it over here, but I will go and see)
How close to the ports would you put the damping?

Scottmoose said:
All of the interior. 1in thick layer of material.

Now we are getting somewhere :) :)
following the instruction above I put a lot more damping in than I had before. I used normal white Baf about 3cm thick on all interior walls.
It has made a dramatic difference. Much, much better balance, far more transparent and most of the boominess has disappeared. They are now better than my Bibs ever were. I will play with small adjustments over the following weeks to see what can be improved even further but they are absolutely wonderful as they are now.
Peter

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Idefixes said:

Excuse my ignorance : FH site, are you speaking from Planet10 site (frugal horn)?

Marc

Just a note on semantics here... Planet10 may be the prime sponsor (and does all the webwork) of the frugal-horn site, but it is a community site, and is as much Scott's, Ron's, Steven's & Bob's as mine... in terms of shear numbers it is Scottmoose's....

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.