Twin fe167e's in BR cabs?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2008, 06:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Twin fe167e's in BR cabs??

Hi,
I have Fostex fe167e's in the Fostex reccomended bass reflex cabinets. 15L, Parts Express, rosewood cabinets with 2" port. Unfortunatly, I have neither the tools, woodworking skills, or room size to accomadate the reccomended horn enclosures.
I love the full range driver sound with flea powered single ended triode amps. The fe167e is rated at 94 db/1w/1m.
A 2a3 amp,(4 wpc), is just enough power for satisfying listening.
Problem is my 45 amp ,(2wpc), sounds much more intimate and involving, but the sound levels aren't quite high enough.
Can any experts tell me what I would be losing in terms of single driver sound, by putting twin fe167e's in a correctly designed and tuned enclosure, in order to gain an additional 3db of efficiency.
I would then have a 97 db/1w/1m loudspeaker system for my 45 amp, but wouldn't want to lose the magic of the single driver sound.
Anyone try this?
I appreciate any and all responses.
Thanks,
mg16
Old 25th April 2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Piek is offline Piek  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi,

sorry but that doesnt make sense to me, I'd rather use a 8" to 12" PA Woofer per side actively crossed over at 200Hz, tubes for Fe167e and an old amp/PA amp/plate amp for bass. this Setup will play loud and live.

-Micha
Old 25th April 2008, 09:08 AM   #3
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

Consider the higher frequency Wavelengths which are shorter than the distance between driver centres. There will be problems with the waves from both drivers adding and subtracying as they meeting in and out of phase at different positions around the room.
It's called Comb filtering.

That is why the tweeters in line arrays are very small and as close as possible to each other.

I suggest you research some similar, but more efficient drivers then once you have made your choice sell the FE167 and buy those instead.

Another choice is to research cabinets, if you are lacking bass and your have the right shaped room you could get some BIBs made by a cabinet maker. You could even make some with pre-cut shelving planks.

Piek's suggestion is yet another way to go. Be careful with the crossover t6hough, too many op-amps you'll lose the fullrange magic.

Two drivers are not an option, unless you filter one of them not to reproduce the higher frequencies.
Old 25th April 2008, 02:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Twin fe167e's in BR cabs??

Thanks for your replies.
Bass is not a problem in my setup. I am using 2 little 8" powered subs. They augment the bass below about 70hz, and have plenty of clean output.
The fe167e sattelites are driven full range.
My room is 12 by 24 by 8 foot. I previously owned some Klipsch Lascalas at 104 db/1w/1m, they played as loud as I wanted, and then some, with the 45 amp.
The imaging was not great, as they were way too big for the room, and I eventually found the horn highs irritating.
The little single driver sattelites sound as if the musicians are playing in the room, and that is exactly what I love about them.
But with 2 watts, at realistic levels, the distortion of the sattelites becomes a problem.
Maybe I am looking for the proverbial "free lunch", and there is none I guess. I want it all.
A single coherent driver speaker system in a small cabinet, driven at high spl with a beautifull sounding 2 watt 45 amplifier. Probably impossible.
Was hoping a few more db. of efficiency, by doubling up on the Fostex, would get me there.
I though maybe someone had tried the double BR Fe167e's, and I could get some feedback before investing the time and money in something that might be a waste of time.
I posted over at Audio Asylum high efficiency forum also.
I bough a used Rane AC22 electronic xover on ebay yesterday. 24 db/oct cutoff slopes.
I will try running the 45 amp, bandwith limited from 150 hz. up.
Maybe that will let it play loud enough before clipping gets too irratating.
mg16
Old 25th April 2008, 06:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think you mean distortion of your amplifier, not the 167 satelites.

Simple solution = buy more efficient drivers. Sell on the 167s & replace with 206s, loaded the way you like. Horns are not automatically a requirement for these units. The fact that you've got twin subs which can help for bass duties, if you cross them in relatively high up, helps considerably.

You could run a pair of 167s bipole, but because of the inherent polar response, you wouldn't really get all the SPL / efficiency benefits you might be expecting / hoping for. However, it's not necessarily impossible to mount two units on the same panel -if you focus them both on a specific point, a reasonable distance away to keep the angle shallow, you'll avoid the worst of the problems associated with this sort of layout, at the price of a small sweet spot.

Hide this!Advertise here!