Fostexs smaller fullrange drivers questions? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2008, 10:07 PM   #1
phil09 is offline phil09  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fostexs smaller fullrange drivers questions?

Hello all. I am a newbie to this forum. I do have a couple questions for all of you? I am a fostex fan and would like to try their other offerings. I have had the fostex fe 206e drivers very good driver. I am looking at 4 fullrange drivers

1. FF 125k 4.5" fullrange drivers at $41.60 each

2. Fe 126e 4.5" fullrange drivers at $42.75 each

3. Fe108ez 4" fullrange drivers at $88.15 each

4. Fx 120 5" fullrange drivers at $ 102.60 each

Here are the ones I am looking at. I really need some help on all of these drivers. I am looking also looking at hemp acoustics and abrown. They both have the hempcone fullrange sound. I do not know how they sound or how they will hold up next to the fostex. Thanks for your help. jeff:confused
Old 23rd April 2008, 12:06 AM   #2
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'd go with the fe108ez over all those other drivers if you can get by with the 90db sens of the 108.. I'm doing fine with 6w rms using the 108's and they are quite wonderful, depends on how loud you listen...
Many have turned to the 126 in somewhat recent times over the 108(the whole thing got started by Ed with his horns) for the extra sens and a bit more low end, but the 108 is still the magic 4'' Fostex driver IMO, better mids and highs .. Dave
Old 23rd April 2008, 04:55 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I've just been listening to the FX120 this last week... definitely the best of the lot.

I found the FF125 to have a weirdness on the top... strong bottom, it could well be good as a midbass.

It is hard to beat the midrange of the FE108eS (haven't directly compared to the FX120 yet), but it is a challenge to get bottom out of it and the top is a bit weak. I expect that it is a 1st choice in the MJK baffle.

The FE126e is a bit rough on the top (7k bump), but is the highest efficiency. EdHorn owners will tell you (the majority anyway) that the FE126 is an upgrade to the FE108eS ,,, stock i'm not quite so sure. With all the known mods to the FE126 i'd choose it any day over the 108. You can also add the FE127 in here.

FX120 & FE127 use similar boxes... FF125 and FE126 similar (tend to horns) and the FE108 is in the middle -- but to get bass a horn really helps.

My guess is that F120A is an FX120 on steroids... still in the box downstairs.

What kind of amp and box constraints do you have?

dave
Old 23rd April 2008, 04:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well right now I have a 1978 sansui pre/amp combo in one. I can tell I need to upgrade. I had a really nice kenwood from 1977 and it kicked put on everything I have had so far. IT fell and the motherboard cracked. Long story!!! Well so here I am now. I do not know what to get for my speakers. Rotel,nad,or rega? I would like to do a home theater set up in the near future. I can get the harman kardmans top of the line home theater reciever for $800.00 in mint. from a friend. It is only 3 years old. I do not know if I want to go there yet? I just need to find the right fullrange drivers and go from there. Then I can build my dream home theather set up. Baby sets for now, I know I enjoy fullrange sound. I have heard a reciver I like for almost no money from the 70's. So I guess the question is were would you start. Mr. dave? Thanks phil
Old 23rd April 2008, 05:54 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

3 of the above tend to prefer amplifiers with lower damping factors (the 108, 126, 127) a 5-25W low feedback class A (tube or SS) or some of the new digital amps ... the list of amps you are proposing would be happiest with the FX120.

dave
Old 23rd April 2008, 08:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well that is what I thought the fisrt time the fx120. How does it sound next to the fe108ez speakers? It also has a dust cap that tends to sound metal like I was told? Is this right or wrong dave? Thanks jeff
Old 23rd April 2008, 08:20 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by phil09
Well that is what I thought the fisrt time the fx120. How does it sound next to the fe108ez speakers? It also has a dust cap that tends to sound metal like I was told? Is this right or wrong dave? Thanks jeff
We are always leery when we see those metal caps, but these are well damped -- i'd guess they are constrained layer with something underneath.

I haven't had a chance to side by side them with the FE108eS (i really need to put the stock ones back in Aiko for a fair comparison), but extrapolating from modded FE108 vrs FE127eN and FE127eN vrs stock FX120, i'd estimate that the FX120 is ahead -- certainly capable of much more bottom (as to be expected from 4" vrs 5")

dave
Old 25th April 2008, 06:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Calling planet 10 Need your advise?

Hello dave at planet10. You have used the fe206e's and the visatons b200's?. Have you used a hemp cone from abrown or hemp acoustics? Also which one is the best in all of these drivers for fullrange? I am asking because the fe 206e's are cheeper then the fx 120 and why not upgrade to an 8" Inch fullrange?Please tell me which one will give me the best sound out of all of these? Thanks again. Jeff
Old 25th April 2008, 08:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Jeff/Phil,

I'm not planet10 but from what he (and others) have said, in sweeping-statement terms:

-Bigger drivers do better low down, and have more efficiency.
-smaller drivers have less low down, but have more of what P10 call the 'Mid-range Magic'.

It is all about compromise.
Old 25th April 2008, 09:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks that helps out alot. Also you can call me jeff. Phil is just a screen name I picked. Thanks again. Jeff:

Hide this!Advertise here!