FE126E/FE166E/FE206E Which is best? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2008, 09:17 PM   #11
holdent is offline holdent  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have the FE103E, FE126E, and FE167E drivers. Of these three I like the 167 the most -- I think it has the best balance between bass and mids. My preference is to avoid the xx6 series because they require a BLH to work well. The xx7 series can be more easily used in a wider range of enclosures including simple to build MLTLs, TQWT, BRs, etc.
Old 21st April 2008, 02:11 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Today an audiophile/music lover visited me and we spent an hour or so listening to music thru the 165k BIBs. He was amazed at the vocals and overall balance and detail of the sound. We listened to Spyro Gyra, Ray Charles and Jack Johnson. Horn sections on Spyro Gyra were amazingly real with what seemed like no limit in dynamic range. Bass was mellow, tight and clear. I bring this up to remind everyone about the Fostex 125k, 165k and 225k. When my mind wanders onto new projects to build i seem to think of these drivers first these days. To me, they sound more natural than the wizzered Fostex drivers. I think they have a more liquid sound than the others. For back horn type designs don't forget to consider these beautifuly simple, great sounding, relatively innexpensive drivers.
Old 21st April 2008, 07:14 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Which one is best depends on what your set of compromises are... me i like the FE126 (well FE126eN) best.

I have FF125 and they do something strange in the top... haven't had a chance to listen to out FF165 yet. The FF85 is a little stunner (needs helper on the bottom), but it is really at least a 1/2 rev ahead of the rest of the FF line,

dave
Old 21st April 2008, 08:28 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

165 & 225 are both excellent units. Smoother / more fluid than the FExx6/7E series, greater dispersion. Very nice, relaxed presentation. Especially good on Eliza Carthy. Hope they upgrade these larger units & the 125 to the 85 style rev. at some point soon (I'm not holding my breath though )-they'd get even better.
Old 21st April 2008, 08:43 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

My two favorites are the FE167E and the FE207E. Unless you want to do one of the more intricate backhorns, You just can't beat the FE167E in a MLTL or BVR for honest sound. The FE207E does wonders in a BR, although it does need a bit of help at the top.

Strangely, now that I im into computer front end and DSP, The FE206E can be made to sound just like a FE207E in a BR, except with more extension at the top.

Bob
Old 21st April 2008, 09:41 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yep. My own 167 MLTLs are playing at the moment. Well, I think they are. Either that or Loreena McKennitt is sitting on the desk, singing She Moved Through the Fair just for little old me. Although from a recent meet, I've discovered I can make some mods to improve them further. The FExx7E series really are lovely units if you don't want to go for complicated horns & lack DSP, which the FFxx5K / FExx6E units really do need to get the best out of them.
Old 21st April 2008, 07:07 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

1st reports back on our 1st "comparable" set of FE167...

Quote:
1) FE167s in Demetri - but only in the small room - more bass of course, but not as "tuneful" as any of the 3 FE127E's, and thick and congested in the midrange, with shallower soundstage

Sue said - have you tried them in a bigger room?

Will reserve judgment until phase plugs
Plug blanks just came in Sat and are "in-process"

dave
Old 21st April 2008, 09:56 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

From reading all this I think i might just spring for a pair of FE206. Maybe its madness but I just am thinking that the bigger driver will give a more relaxed presentation but with a bit more grunt when needed.

Fran
Old 21st April 2008, 10:28 PM   #19
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woodturner-fran
From reading all this I think i might just spring for a pair of FE206. Maybe its madness but I just am thinking that the bigger driver will give a more relaxed presentation but with a bit more grunt when needed.

Fran
More like, it will do the low end much better than the 166E, at the expense of a bit worse midrange & treble. A worthwhile compromise. You can always add a helper tweeter if needed.
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:42 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
Which one is best depends on what your set of compromises are... me i like the FE126 (well FE126eN) best.

The FF85 is a little stunner (needs helper on the bottom), but it is really at least a 1/2 rev ahead of the rest of the FF line,

dave
Have you came up with a sub that integrates well with that FF85/micro Fonken?

--Still up in the air as to whether to build a regular Fonken or a micro Fonken...
Robert

Hide this!Advertise here!