Folded Saburos?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all - I have a new pair of fostex fe126e's in need of a cabinet. It looks like my best bets are frugel-horns level 0 or 1, a BIB, or a Spawn design such as a Saburo, Mikasa or Harvey.

I do not have the necessary room, skills or equipment to build an Austin A126 horn.

My room is a carpeted living room, about 12x20. The speakers will go along one of the long walls, in the middle. On either side of the speakers are openings to other rooms.

I will be listening to lighter rock, jazz, classical guitar, etc. I have a garage with big thumpers for the Metallica. :)

Here are my questions:

1) Any one of those choices strike you as better than the others?

2) I'm leery of the height of the Saburo and Mikasa. Am I being stupid to think that you could take the top half of a Saburo and place it next to the bottom half, ending up with a speaker twice as wide and half as high?

3) Any thoughts on Harvey vs. Saburo vs. Mikasa? I haven't seen a Mikasa example anywhere, while the Tybones are commercial speakers in the Saburo design.

4) The speakers will be against a wall, or not far from it, flanking a TV cabinet. Front-firing or back-firing horn?

Thanks all! (and hi, as this is my first post)

1) Of the cabinets you mention, Saburo would be my choice given your conditions (Harvey was designed for the 127 BTW).

2) Not a good idea. I designed it from scratch as a double horn. The A126 or Frugel-horns cover the smaller side of things (I wouldn't have thought the FH would be that much easier to build than the A126? Mind, I'm the world's worst builder.)

3) See 1)

4) Depends on the horn, room, system, taste etc. There's no one answer unfortunately. Would that there were, life would be much easier. But probably less interesting.

Mind, I'm the world's worst builder.)

I will argue that point. I really dont have the werewithall any more to build. I am selling all my woodworking tools as i really dont have the strength or the presence of mind or control to operate something i can cut my hand off with.

Martins OBs were my last build and all i did was cut some holes with a router and a Jasper jig.

ron

(even a worn out old Texan can make an OB)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.