Fostex Bass - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2008, 03:11 PM   #1
jdbon is offline jdbon  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex Bass

What would yield better bass: a FE127 in a BIB or a FE167 or FE207 in a BR? My goal is an easy to build project, ideally with little or no BSC compensation. My source will be iTunes so I can use the graphic equalizer to smooth things out a bit.
Old 18th April 2008, 03:16 PM   #2
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

How big are you wanting your speakers to be? You will not get much below 55Hz or so out of a FE127E no matter what enclosure you build. On the other hand a BIB utilizing a FE207E or FE206E will give you plenty of bump. Take a look at this thread. :

Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Or check out this design.:

Half Chang build

Old 18th April 2008, 03:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Size is a concern. They will be a small room 10*12. I also want it to be a relatively easy build. The half chang looks difficult.
Old 18th April 2008, 03:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Put the 207's in a 35 liter BR with a 3"x5" port. You will have all the bass you need. Handle the BSC with your equalizer.

Bob
Old 18th April 2008, 04:51 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

There's little doubt the FE167E in virtually any competent design will produce deeper and more plentiful bass than the FE127E, if at the sacrifice of some midrange detail.

Another option - try the FE167E in the Planet10 Demetri ( you may need to contact Dave directly for plans) - not a particularly difficult build, and relatively decent WAF, if that's a concern.

Click the image to open in full size.

Both the Mileva and Demetri are a wide/shallow derivation of the MLTQWP family, intended for near wall use. I'd opine that such placement in a room his size would certainly produce bass, and minimize the need for BSC.

Indeed, is it possible to have too much bass in a small room? As some readers may recall, I've noted on several occasions that's certainly the case in one of my spaces - a former basement bedroom for a teen boy that was very well soundproofed, so there's not much chance for the walls to "breathe" . Compound that with long & narrow dimensions (8.5 x 23ft) and it makes for interesting bass management issues. After trying a few systems with deep bass, I took the easy way out and just sacrificed the bottom octave or so. Sure, I could get spendy on pro grade bass traps, etc. , but it would be nice to have decent sound in a small room, and enough space for a least 2 listeners.
Old 18th April 2008, 07:46 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by G
How big are you wanting your speakers to be? You will not get much below 55Hz or so out of a FE127E no matter what enclosure you build. On the other hand a BIB utilizing a FE207E or FE206E will give you plenty of bump.
Scott claimed 40 Hz from his Harvey (with FE126e), but the 4" won't be able to shift as much air as a larger driver.

If Half-Chang looks to be too hard a build, then you should be looking at a simple BR. What Chris says about bass in a small room is true, so i'd look to the FE167e in a 15 liter box (if HC is too difficult i worry about bracing that would be needed in a larger box) -- the easy way out would be the PE curved boxes -- braced well, and made mostly of MDF plywood they don't suffer as badly as most MDF boxes. Port of 2" D, 2.5" long.

With disregard to the build difficulty (but without going as far as a Fonken), Brynn or Floorstander Fonken would be my choice for a room your size -- mFonken would probably do the trick too. Mileva would probably need a bit of resistance added to the port to bring things down in the bottom.
Old 24th April 2008, 01:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Any thoughts on the larger audio nirvana drivers? I'm reading mixed reviews in terms of comparing the quality if mids to fostex drivers, but that 12inch in an open baffle definately fits my KISS philosophy....

Hide this!Advertise here!