Fostex Bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

G

Joined 2002
There's little doubt the FE167E in virtually any competent design will produce deeper and more plentiful bass than the FE127E, if at the sacrifice of some midrange detail.

Another option - try the FE167E in the Planet10 Demetri ( you may need to contact Dave directly for plans) - not a particularly difficult build, and relatively decent WAF, if that's a concern.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Both the Mileva and Demetri are a wide/shallow derivation of the MLTQWP family, intended for near wall use. I'd opine that such placement in a room his size would certainly produce bass, and minimize the need for BSC.

Indeed, is it possible to have too much bass in a small room? As some readers may recall, I've noted on several occasions that's certainly the case in one of my spaces - a former basement bedroom for a teen boy that was very well soundproofed, so there's not much chance for the walls to "breathe" . Compound that with long & narrow dimensions (8.5 x 23ft) and it makes for interesting bass management issues. After trying a few systems with deep bass, I took the easy way out and just sacrificed the bottom octave or so. Sure, I could get spendy on pro grade bass traps, etc. , but it would be nice to have decent sound in a small room, and enough space for a least 2 listeners.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
G said:
How big are you wanting your speakers to be? You will not get much below 55Hz or so out of a FE127E no matter what enclosure you build. On the other hand a BIB utilizing a FE207E or FE206E will give you plenty of bump.

Scott claimed 40 Hz from his Harvey (with FE126e), but the 4" won't be able to shift as much air as a larger driver.

If Half-Chang looks to be too hard a build, then you should be looking at a simple BR. What Chris says about bass in a small room is true, so i'd look to the FE167e in a 15 liter box (if HC is too difficult i worry about bracing that would be needed in a larger box) -- the easy way out would be the PE curved boxes -- braced well, and made mostly of MDF plywood they don't suffer as badly as most MDF boxes. Port of 2" D, 2.5" long.

With disregard to the build difficulty (but without going as far as a Fonken), Brynn or Floorstander Fonken would be my choice for a room your size -- mFonken would probably do the trick too. Mileva would probably need a bit of resistance added to the port to bring things down in the bottom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.