Dallas II with AER MK1? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2008, 03:47 PM   #1
tocaco3 is offline tocaco3  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default Dallas II with AER MK1?

Does anyone know how Dallas II with AER MK1 will sound? I know that the Dallas II was designed for the Fostex 206E but I've heard people getting good result with Lowthers so I'm wondering how this combination will sound...

Mk1 Technical Data http://www.tonianlabs.com/aer%20mk1.htm
Old 14th April 2008, 04:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Q & Vas are way up, above the 206. I suspect the decent results with Lowthers would have been one of their drivers with similar parameters to the Fostex unit. Ron?
Old 14th April 2008, 11:31 PM   #3
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

I have no idea of the specs. However if the Vas is greater it would require a greater volume FC, if the Qts was higher it would require a larger throat and thus a different expansion rate/length. This may be a case where one size does not fit all.

(just say to hell with it, add a BVR with a good large woofer and L-pad the Lowther on an OB or FLH)

ron

(the hardest thing you can do is to make something simple)
Old 15th April 2008, 12:37 AM   #4
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

I hate to add onto a post but here goes.

A very good simple system. A sealed woofer enclosure, an OB with a compatable mid/HF driver which is time/positioned aligned to the XO. Simple first order XOs. Thats all thats needed unless you want a sub to XO around 60 Hz. Why make it complicated?

ron
Old 15th April 2008, 11:26 AM   #5
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

You would be insane to spend so much on a driver and put it in an enclosure that is not properly designed for it.
Find an enclosure another common driver with very similar thiele small specs to the AER, then do the math and fine tune the cabinet for the AER.

you will need a very quiet amp for the AER or it will HISSSSS at you. 103dB/W/m is not to be sneezed at.
Old 15th April 2008, 12:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OzMikeH
You would be insane to spend so much on a driver and put it in an enclosure that is not properly designed for it.
Find an enclosure another common driver with very similar thiele small specs to the AER, then do the math and fine tune the cabinet for the AER.

you will need a very quiet amp for the AER or it will HISSSSS at you. 103dB/W/m is not to be sneezed at.
I guess you're right, the think is that I haven't been able to find such an enclosure yet. Dallas II has been build by many, is well documented and has very good reviews, that's why I asked.
Unlike Fostex drivers which are very popular and have numerous "open source" designs available, Lowther AER and other high priced full range drivers seem to suffer in that department.
And I may be wrong but I think that popular combinations like Lowther with Fidelio are based on horns that were designed by ear or with software that is kind of obsolete now.
Old 15th April 2008, 03:35 PM   #7
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Tocaco3, Have you heard any of the Lowther drivers to compare your Aer with? Most stuff I read favors the Aer over the Lowther drivers, so just wondering what your experience has been..

How about a BIB cab for now?, it'll be big but should work very well compared to putting the Aer in any cab not specifically designed for it..
Dave
Old 15th April 2008, 04:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well Dave, I don't have an Aer driver to begin with, not yet anyway, I'm just thinking of buying a pair. I have heard the Aer in a BIB with a sub and Lowther's DX-3 in a Fidelio enclosure and both sounded very good. The Aer was perhaps less shouty but the setup was different and the sessions were a couple of month apart, so no one can be certain.
Old 15th April 2008, 09:31 PM   #9
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes, I've heard the Aer's have less shout and also go higher up than the Lowthers... I'm looking to get a pair of Aer's also in the next year or so, thanks for the info... Dave
Old 16th April 2008, 11:19 AM   #10
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've heard the AERs in Singulars. very good but you need 2 corners to put them in.
I think Onur developed another cabinet after the Singular similar to a double BVR on his website.

Here is the Singular.
http://www.yildiz.edu.tr/~ilkorur/ILKORUR/AER.html

Hide this!Advertise here!