Dallas II with AER MK1?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have no idea of the specs. However if the Vas is greater it would require a greater volume FC, if the Qts was higher it would require a larger throat and thus a different expansion rate/length. This may be a case where one size does not fit all.

(just say to hell with it, add a BVR with a good large woofer and L-pad the Lowther on an OB or FLH)

ron

(the hardest thing you can do is to make something simple)

I hate to add onto a post but here goes.

A very good simple system. A sealed woofer enclosure, an OB with a compatable mid/HF driver which is time/positioned aligned to the XO. Simple first order XOs. Thats all thats needed unless you want a sub to XO around 60 Hz. Why make it complicated?

ron

You would be insane to spend so much on a driver and put it in an enclosure that is not properly designed for it.
Find an enclosure another common driver with very similar thiele small specs to the AER, then do the math and fine tune the cabinet for the AER.

you will need a very quiet amp for the AER or it will HISSSSS at you. 103dB/W/m is not to be sneezed at.

OzMikeH said:
You would be insane to spend so much on a driver and put it in an enclosure that is not properly designed for it.
Find an enclosure another common driver with very similar thiele small specs to the AER, then do the math and fine tune the cabinet for the AER.

you will need a very quiet amp for the AER or it will HISSSSS at you. 103dB/W/m is not to be sneezed at.

I guess you're right, the think is that I haven't been able to find such an enclosure yet. Dallas II has been build by many, is well documented and has very good reviews, that's why I asked.
Unlike Fostex drivers which are very popular and have numerous "open source" designs available, Lowther AER and other high priced full range drivers seem to suffer in that department.
And I may be wrong but I think that popular combinations like Lowther with Fidelio are based on horns that were designed by ear or with software that is kind of obsolete now.

Hi Tocaco3, Have you heard any of the Lowther drivers to compare your Aer with? Most stuff I read favors the Aer over the Lowther drivers, so just wondering what your experience has been..

How about a BIB cab for now?, it'll be big but should work very well compared to putting the Aer in any cab not specifically designed for it..
Dave:)

Well Dave, I don't have an Aer driver to begin with, not yet anyway, I'm just thinking of buying a pair. I have heard the Aer in a BIB with a sub and Lowther's DX-3 in a Fidelio enclosure and both sounded very good. The Aer was perhaps less shouty but the setup was different and the sessions were a couple of month apart, so no one can be certain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.