TABAQ and Needle hybrid - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2008, 08:40 AM   #1
lepomis is offline lepomis  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Default TABAQ and Needle hybrid

I am working on a blend of the needle's speaker placement and TABAQ's box.
Looking at these two builds on here for the last few weeks made me have to buy MJK's worksheets. (Big thanks to all 3 of you guys )
This is what I have come up with so far.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I used a 4.5 FE127E to see if I could get away without using a subwoofer. I first tried using tang band's 4 inchers, but I could not work them out in MJK's worksheets very well. This fostex seems ok, possibly due to its higher Qts. This will be the first speaker I have tried to make, so I could be using the software wrong or not taking the design far enough.

I want to keep working on this for a while, but am not sure when I should stop and just build it

I would love any suggestions or ideas.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 03:42 PM   #2
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Default Re: TABAQ and Needle hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by lepomis
I am working on a blend of the needle's speaker placement and TABAQ's box.
Looking at these two builds on here for the last few weeks made me have to buy MJK's worksheets. (Big thanks to all 3 of you guys )
This is what I have come up with so far.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I want to keep working on this for a while, but am not sure when I should stop and just build it

I would love any suggestions or ideas.
graph looks good... build it?

gychang
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 04:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Copenhagen
Hi Lepimis, it would be interesting to see your data entries for MJK spreadsheets. When I designed TABAQ I also wanted to place the driver higher up in the cabinet. However, this gave uneven response, which I elemintaed by moving the driver one third down in the pipe.

Hi from Bjorn
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Svein_B is offline Svein_B  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
I have been pondering almost the same design, since i have a couple of spare W3-871s (in addition to one pair of good sounding needles).


Attached is a MLTL sim I did with the TB W3-871s.
height= 30"
cross-section= 4 x 5"
sd= 4"
port: 0.88x3.8” , 2” from bottom
stuffing: 0.9 lb/ft3 in upper half.


The plot looks almost identical to Bjorn's TABAQ sim.


Svein.
Attached Images
File Type: gif tb-mlt.gif (7.0 KB, 1027 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 09:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Copenhagen
Svein and Lepomis - thanks for you input.

You guys are absolutely right, you can move the driver in TABAQ to the top of the cabinet with no problems.

I could not resist firering up under MJK software to take another look at it.

In an ustuffed line, the driver should remain as is. But since the cabinet is hard stuffed (0.207 lb - with the last 10 inch unstuffed) you can place the driver higher up.

The design of TABAQ (and others) is a repeating process. I start with an unstuffet design, trying to make this as good as poosble. Then i stuff, playing with density and distribution. But in this case, i simply forgot to see if the driver could me moved after the stuffing.

Sorry about this confusion.

Hi from Bjørn
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 09:15 PM   #6
lepomis is offline lepomis  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Hi Bjorn

I tried to email you the sheet, but I do not have enough posts yet to use that feature. Would you just need the section numbers?


Quote:
Originally posted by Bjohannesen
Hi Lepimis, it would be interesting to see your data entries for MJK spreadsheets. When I designed TABAQ I also wanted to place the driver higher up in the cabinet. However, this gave uneven response, which I elemintaed by moving the driver one third down in the pipe.

Hi from Bjorn
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 09:15 PM   #7
lepomis is offline lepomis  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I see you just posted Bjorn... so I guess you don't need it anyway
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 11:48 PM   #8
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Svein_B
I have been pondering almost the same design, since i have a couple of spare W3-871s (in addition to one pair of good sounding needles).


Attached is a MLTL sim I did with the TB W3-871s.
height= 30"
cross-section= 4 x 5"
sd= 4"
port: 0.88x3.8” , 2” from bottom
stuffing: 0.9 lb/ft3 in upper half.


The plot looks almost identical to Bjorn's TABAQ sim.


Svein.
Would the same dimensions work for another TB driver W3-593SF instead W3-871? (I have 2 in storage). More details here.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-809

gychang
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w3-593f.jpg (24.8 KB, 726 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 07:13 AM   #9
lepomis is offline lepomis  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
The driver specs are slightly different, but very close. In MJK's worksheet the frequency graph does not change with either driver. I guess it should work


Quote:
Originally posted by gychang


Would the same dimensions work for another TB driver W3-593SF instead W3-871? (I have 2 in storage). More details here.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-809

gychang
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 08:27 PM   #10
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Quote:
Originally posted by lepomis
The driver specs are slightly different, but very close. In MJK's worksheet the frequency graph does not change with either driver. I guess it should work


almost a simple box, will try it soon. Are the measurements inside size?

gychang
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TABAQ TL for Tang Band Bjohannesen Full Range 905 12th October 2014 05:18 PM
Tabaq to the future. raypalmer Multi-Way 7 6th April 2009 03:59 AM
My TABAQ Build Thread Consul Full Range 17 3rd September 2008 09:50 PM
Cheap and simple DIY amp for 2x TABAQ Lifthanger Chip Amps 5 14th February 2008 12:41 PM
Folded TABAQ BoomieMCT Full Range 3 7th July 2007 10:08 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:16 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2