Austin A166 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2008, 06:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Austin A166

Mr Pass recommended the the Fostex FE166E as a nice driver to get my feet wet with full range speakers. After looking at back loaded horns I would like to build Ron's Austin A166. I see Layertone built his by laminating CNC pieces together. Is there a drawing available to submit to a cabinetmaker with a CNC Router? I can make the standard one but the rounded horn section of the CNC version looks very appealing. I have to admit I am pretty jazzed about this as well as my Pass F4 I plan to drag out my 300b set amp to drive them. Any recommendations on padding or stuffing on it, or any other mods for that matter.

Thanks
Bill
Old 13th April 2008, 04:52 PM   #2
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Bill, I've never built the A166 myself but it's recommended to build the full meal deal package with the Supra baffle and the mouth deflector..

There's a build of the A166 started at the Decware site in the diy speakers section, if your interested to check it out... Dave
Old 13th April 2008, 06:51 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Austin A166

Quote:
Originally posted by wirewiggler
Is there a drawing available to submit to a cabinetmaker with a CNC Router?
Those drawings were never released. I belive Tony still has them.

dave
Old 13th April 2008, 10:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default A166 drawing

By Tony you mean layertone ? Ron are you ok with some else using them? Do they sound as good or better than regular version. I see Layertone is in Sacramento, I would gladly pay for time and materials if you were willing an it was ok with Ron to cut them, and of course the stars align and the creeks don't rise. These things look so cool in the laminated version.

Thanks

Bill
Old 13th April 2008, 11:32 PM   #5
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

1. Yep/ (layertone)
2. Yep. Never heard the curved version. I have the standard version in SC and will install the EnABL drivers on my next trip home.
3. I would email Tony.

As i have posted recently i have kinda gotten away from SD FR Big BLHs. and moved to more two way systems. A bass BVR( a Scott design) and more of a waveguide OB or an waveguide on the front and an IB on the rear of the WB driver (my design). To me it just makes more sense than trying to make a single driver do the whole spectrum. Add to the fact that there is less group delay and i can time align the XO point and have a more simple build. Again , it just makes sense, besides ,despite what others think, i have never been a purist.

ron

(the hardest thing you can do is to make something simple)
Old 14th April 2008, 05:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default A166

I have made 2 way systems and have been greatly pleased by them, 3 way with passive crossovers just get to complex. MTM are nice have one of them. Just wanted to try a single driver with horn maybe add a tweeter with simple cap for crossover. I think it is said somewhere amps like the F4 work better without crossovers and it would be an excuse to revisit my set amp, may put regulated DC on the filament and try to eliminate some hum.

Bill
Old 16th April 2008, 05:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default A166 laminations

I guess the prefered material is Baltic burtch plywood. Has anyone tried using solid pieces of plywood for the strait sections of the pipe and glued them to laminated plywood that has been routed to shape for the curved sections? Would it change the tuning of the horn to use the existing dimentions from the current plan and just round the ends?

Thanks
Bill
Old 17th April 2008, 02:24 AM   #8
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

i had asked what i think to be about the same question on a.a., to quote Bill Fitzmaurice's answer:
"Curved bends are required if your intent is to extend the usable response of the horn to 800Hz or more. But since the bandwidth of a rearloader is at least two octaves shy of that goal curves are unnecessary".
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...hlight=166es-r
Old 17th April 2008, 06:16 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: A166 laminations

Quote:
Originally posted by wirewiggler
prefered material is Baltic burtch plywood
yes

dave
Old 17th April 2008, 06:41 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

good read,
No sense in over complicating the build. Fostexs' are on the way.Wander if worth blowing up plan to full size for side layouts.
Bill

Hide this!Advertise here!