Small Fostex Bass reflex - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2008, 02:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Small Fostex Bass reflex

Hello since I have been having so much fun with my OB speakers I forgot to post pics of my small 12liter Fostexfe126e in 1/2" solid pine BR enclosures.The port is 2" x 4" don't ask what they are tuned too??? They do sound great though with surprising bass from the fe126e.They are 9.5" square...I know square...but I found it helps reinforce the bass.[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 12th April 2008, 12:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi audiophile36, nice! I also work in solid pine. Is that an oil finish? Looks excellent.

Regarding the cube shape and bass response, I don't think the cube shape per se would give you a boost there.

Assuming internal dimension is 8.5 inches cubed, I think you would have a resonance of around 1400 Hz and perhaps multiples of that. Also, maybe at 1/4 of that, namely 350Hz.

Not sure though as I am a completely newbie. Maybe one of the experts can chime in?
Old 12th April 2008, 02:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rjbond3rd
Hi audiophile36, nice! I also work in solid pine. Is that an oil finish? Looks excellent.

Regarding the cube shape and bass response, I don't think the cube shape per se would give you a boost there.

Assuming internal dimension is 8.5 inches cubed, I think you would have a resonance of around 1400 Hz and perhaps multiples of that. Also, maybe at 1/4 of that, namely 350Hz.

Not sure though as I am a completely newbie. Maybe one of the experts can chime in?
Hello,
Yes that is a Boiled Linseed hand rubbed oil finish.The internal dimensions are actually 9 inches cubed.You ever noticed how perfectly square listening rooms usually have boomy bass aka "boost bass" ...it's because of standing waves which normally is a bad thing,but the low QTS Fostex driver benefits from a little acoustical EQ'ing.It actually seems to boost midbass giving the impression of "more" bass.
Old 12th April 2008, 03:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Aha, interesting on all points! I'll try the boiled linseed oil -- it's great to have a finish that leaves the wood feeling like wood (rather than plastic). Thank you!
Old 12th April 2008, 04:56 AM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audiophile36

The internal dimensions are actually 9 inches cubed.You ever noticed how perfectly square listening rooms usually have boomy bass aka "boost bass" ...it's because of standing waves which normally is a bad thing,but the low QTS Fostex driver benefits from a little acoustical EQ'ing.It actually seems to boost midbass giving the impression of "more" bass.
Eigenmodes (aka standing waves) are half WL in nature with both even and odd order harmonics, ergo ~13560"/sec/2/9" = ~753.33 Hz, ~1506.66, ~2259.99, 3013.32 Hz, etc., and since it's a cube, all the modes will sum in amplitude, making the nulls deeper and peaks higher gain. Considering the BW involved I fail to see why it would help with the mid-bass/bass BW. The port's close proximity to the driver will though, tuning the cab higher than predicted.

GM
Old 12th April 2008, 08:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Eigenmodes (aka standing waves) are half WL in nature with both even and odd order harmonics, ergo ~13560"/sec/2/9" = ~753.33 Hz, ~1506.66, ~2259.99, 3013.32 Hz, etc., and since it's a cube, all the modes will sum in amplitude, making the nulls deeper and peaks higher gain. Considering the BW involved I fail to see why it would help with the mid-bass/bass BW. The port's close proximity to the driver will though, tuning the cab higher than predicted.

GM
I don't know how it works .but I have made the enclosures with different dimensions while still maintaining the 12 liter spec and the bass is not as pronounced as with the cube...maybe it is the ports closer proximity to the driver????
Old 12th April 2008, 04:18 PM   #7
MikeR is offline MikeR  United States
diyAudio Member

Those look a lot like the ones for sale on Audiogon.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....oni&1213097963
Old 12th April 2008, 04:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Seeing that the userid is the same, I would assume they are the same ones.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 12th April 2008, 07:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Those look a lot like the ones for sale on Audiogon.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....oni&1213097963
Yes I am selling them on Audiogon...I have sold 5 pair on Audiogon over the past year or two and the owners love them.Audiogon member B_gentry favorably compares them to his Lowther Medallions.I also made pair for a customer in the pre finished .38cu PartsExpress cabinets and that customer recently ordered a pair in the solid pine cubes and preferes them to the MDF PartsExpress cabinets.
Old 13th April 2008, 12:19 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Those speakers look great!

Hide this!Advertise here!