Got horn shapes on my mind

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:)

Attachments

• seperated_at_birth.jpg
    seperated_at_birth.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 726
But there is art in taking that profile & "twisting" it into a (quasi-)acceptable domestic enclosure.

Its not art, its math/physics, Every bend is a loss which has to be calculated for and made up for expansion ,length and area of the wave front. Its also a timing aspect. The less bends, the less distortion and the less loss of efficency.

ron

Greetings Ron, given that multiple folds require more compensation, would the BiB's single fold make it therefore very appealing? Or should the BiB's simplistic taper be adjusted, maybe with a Frugel-Horn style wedgie or other shape adjustment?

Any thoughts very kindly appreciated.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, every horn doesn't look the same as so well demonstrated here so there are various roads to Rome...

Decisions on the configuration are often based on appearance, space available, materials, tools, SAF, drivers available. but of course the bends and folds and flares, etc. need calculating. I don't think there will be argument there...

Hmm, the number of bends doesn't affect a horn's gain BW, distortion, etc. per se, it's the quality of each bend and the mouth termination, i.e. the wider its BW the larger each bend and the mouth termination must be to minimize refraction/reflection through the bend(s) and friction loss over distance.

WRT the BIB and folded pipe/BL horns in general, their crude bends are pretty much the antithesis of what's required for maximizing HF gain BW, which usually is a plus in that it helps damp the unwanted BW that causes audible comb filtering with the driver's output.

For instance, this 1" throat exit compression driven horn has a ~10 kHz usable BW once EQ'd ~flat, Pretty impressive considering its size required to also load down to ~50 Hz.........:

GM

Attachments

• we+555-10.jpg
    we+555-10.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 326
Wow, that's a fascinating horn. Quite a bit more bendy than the BiB. I keep wondering what would be the BiB 2.0?

Or to put it another way, what would be the smallest additional tweak to the BiB that would yield the greatest improvement? Or is it already fully evolved, all things considered?

rjbond3rd said:
Wow, that's a fascinating horn. Quite a bit more bendy than the BiB. I keep wondering what would be the BiB 2.0?

Or to put it another way, what would be the smallest additional tweak to the BiB that would yield the greatest improvement? Or is it already fully evolved, all things considered?

The smallest tweak with the greatest improvement?
Make it as visually pleaseing as possible.
I'm not kidding you, this will make an improvement to the way you experience the music.

As for 2.0 take a look at the frugal horns project.

Yeah, the pioneers of audio didn't mess around. You want 'bendy'? Check out their orchestra pit version.

Anyway, pipe horns are as basic as it gets and WRT ~fullrange driver apps nothing comes to mind that doesn't move it into some form of chambered BLH.

GM

Attachments

• we 13a.gif
    we 13a.gif
    66.8 KB · Views: 262
GM said:
The initial expansion is a flanged pipe that transitions to a welded up sheet metal construction bolted to high density wood construction final sections. Here's the two being cloned using the original metal HF sections:
http://www.audioanthology.com/building.htm
http://www.we13a.com/ (click on 'my works')

I imagine if you have to ask the delivered price you probably can't afford them.

GM

Thanks for putting up that club shot again.

Those horns are what keeps the hobby interesting.

That and whatever Bill Fitzmaurice is up to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.