Total impedance when running tweeter in parallel with a FE206E?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use a 0.68uF with the FT17H and FE207's in the Curvy Chang's and found this the best set up in my old listening envoirment (thick curtains behind the listen in position, damping any real high frequency reflections from the rear). In the new music room I(2'6" higer celings, no rear curtains), I am unshure as the sound sounds thinner (not the best description, not as full as it used to be) and suspect that a bit of series resistance or a higer value cap may help. The trouble is I have just renewed the all the valves in my monoblocks (single ended EL34's triode mode), too many variables!
So it will be interesting to hear views and experiments as the FE17H and the 8" Fostex drivers are a popular combination.

G said:
Since the FE206E extends higher than the FE207E I don't think I really need to cross over any lower than say 18KHz. I just want to add a little sparkle to the top end.

Don't bother then.

FE206 FR rises at about 18KHz if I recall correctly.
The reason I wanted a tweeter is the strange peaks and drops that gets worse after 8KHz, especially off axis.
Anyway, my hearing drops off soon after 18KHz so maybe you shouldn't take advice from me in this question ;)

Let me clarify. I own a pair of speakers using FE206Es with bronze phase plugs. After listening to them for about 2 years I feel the need to add tweeters. After looking at the plots on the PDF it looks to me like Fostex may have the best idea which is using a 1.5uF cap with a L pad. When I build the new cabinets and get the drivers and tweeters installed I will let everyone know what I think.

For a bit of background info and hopefully some Audio experts possibly explain, I started using the FT17H's with some FE166's, and found a great improvment in my percieved clarity of the music.
Being 47yrs old (though my hearing is still good, had a recent hearing test) my higher frenquency range has rolled of with age, and the FT17H is realy a super tweeter, I am curious as to why I can clearly hear a big difference (and IMO an improvement) with the super tweeter. I do remember reading years ago an aticle on research by the US Navy that frequencys up to 100Khz can be audibly felt (not heard) by a human.
So with the FE207 it was a no brainer to add the tweeter from the start and so far the results have been OK, though I am going to invest in some L pads so I can vary the high frequencys, and have see what effect it has on the sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.