audio nirvana super 10 or super 12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am new to this forum and have to say that i am blown away with the level of knowledge i have encountered here.
i am in the process of buying a pair of Audio Nirvana drivers, now the model is the problem...Super 10 or Super 12
from my reading of the post it seems that the Super 12 is a likely candidate for OB designs although on the large side.
as for Super 12 and Bass reflex....HUGE boxes
the Super 10 seems to be more friendly in the size department, but which is the more sensible driver?better sounding driver?
Also can anyone send me plans, detailed if possible in building a Horn loaded or other type of box for the Super 10 drivers.
i understand that strong powerfull bass is possible if i use a exoctic box, and since i am handy with my hands, God bless my parents for that , i would really like to give them a go as i think i might be more pleased than the Super 12.
Should some sort of notch filter be used?

Were to go? Nirvanas good enough...if so 10" or 12" recommened?

Hi Tonitex,

though this thread is quiete historic :eek: I thinks its better to write here than start again a thread with the SAME QUESTION.:t_ache:

Maybe some of you can post me back what's the recent rating of these drivers. I'm from Germany and I'm planning to order me a pair of ANs 10" or 12" cast frame types.
Currently CommonSense is on holiday until end of July - so I have some time to make my decision.

Generally I use fullrange driver since 5 years. I have old Alnico drivers from my homeland Germany. They were produced in the 1954: SABA GREENCONES.

They are well recognized speakers. Some claim they are as good as Feastrex or Lowther but only in soft volumes and without bass.:p
I love them because they show things I couldn't get with any other speaker yet. But still I'm missing the more life like dynamics, much more botton end and the ability to "draw" are more realistic picture of instruments and singers.

The Sabas are "only" 8inchs - everyone knows that a good 12" is quiete different in producing a sound image of real scale (at least in normal living rooms). The additional membrane area is easily recognizable.

NEVERTHELESS such big driver do have there limits as well: the upper regions. No matter would we might discuss: Its clear that the smaller fullrange drivers in the 6" liga do it sweeter:eek:
But in the overall presentation this maybe pretty un-interesting if bigger drivers produce a homogenious sound.

So did anyone compared the 10" to 12" AN cast type ???What is your choice shall I go for the 10" because I love high resolution a little bit more than punch....or would you in general disagree with me that 10" / 12" drivers are more realistic? If in e.g. a horn is used like with the FE 128e Fostex approaches....let me know.. I'm exited to hear. Maybe I should think around.

And if anyone (maybe Mr. Pass?) does know what I mean with "ultra sensitive" speakers that show the mids and highs extremly natural: Do the Nirvanas really shine like that? :confused: I hope !

Thanks Jochen

>>> everyone knows that a good 12" is quiete different in producing a sound image of real scale (at least in normal living rooms).

I agree with this but didn't know 'everyone knows'... but the 12" wide rangers i have on ob sound very good and offer efficiency, dynamics and detail. If they fall short it's in detail compared to smaller drivers... but not by much and the smaller drivers fall short in efficiency and dynamics.

I'd probably enjoy 10, 12 or even 15" AN drivers on ob with bass support. I guess the best way to find out is to listen to all of them and decide which you prefer.

Nelson will be able to give his impressions in the future... which is very cool. Thanks Nelson for taking the time to setup the comparison!

Zilla

>>> I agree with this but didn't know 'everyone knows'... but the 12" wide rangers i have on ob sound very good and offer efficiency, dynamics and detail. If they fall short it's in detail compared to smaller drivers... but not by much and the smaller drivers fall short in efficiency and dynamics.

I'd probably enjoy 10, 12 or even 15" AN drivers on ob with bass support. I guess the best way to find out is to listen to all of them and decide which you prefer.

Zilla

Hi Zilla!

you're right with 'everyone knows' -- :D probably I was bit too self evident :p

Thanks for the comments of course! Its good that you confirmed my assumption that the 12" can't serve the details like typical smaller ones :mad:

Hmmm I'm not really sure were too place my money the best way at the moment...I also thought about a front and back loaded horn. This way I can choose a small driver but I can enjoy great dynamics too. OK my wife has to except this as well:D but I think if they look a bit artistic and not technically she might accept :judge:

But your right of course: I should test the driver first...problem is I can't do it easily. I need to buy them all first and then ask for return:(
10-15 years before in the time when I was often at my cousins PA company I was easily able to borrow most of the common driver on market:smirk:. (Well, that was long ago I sticked to High End fastination)
:note::note:

...Waiting for Nelson written expirience as well! -- Thanks Zilla!

Just to chime in with my 2 cents worth. I have the AN Super Cast 12 running open baffle paired up with the Goldwood 18's and adore the sound. Maybe could use a bit and I do mean just a bit more on the upper treble. One of these days I'll play around with some eq probably when i get a miniDSP unit. For the time being I'm using a reckhorn xover with low pass at 150Hz and high pass at 70Hz. I simply use the volume control on my integrated amp to bring the AN's down to the best volume match. I borrowed a friends Real Time Analyzer to help make adjustments. All in all sounds great. Other systems I have and enjoy are Quad 63's, Genesis, Ohm Walsh. Open Baffle is special!

I also have the 12 cast frame but in the 2.8 cf BR. It is my choice for jazz but not rock. However, just setup a minidsp on one of my preamps rec out, then back in to a aux input, did some quick adjustments and now Rock rocks! The minidsp is really easy to use.

Octavia, are the goldwoods OB? how much additional boost do you need to match it to the FR?

Alfredo

dead on axis, the stamped Super10 have a lot of HF extension - I prefer it in a Karlson rather than reflex and it needs some tailoring imo to be listenable as a direct radiator. There was too much cone excursion in the reflex so its dynamics were compromised compared to the Karlson-coupler plus the K-coupler doesn't sound as "localized" as a direct radiator

fwiw here's on axis up relatively close for AN10 in a 70 liter 41Hz tuned reflex with stamped-frame AN10 vs some well known 2-way speakers with 8" woofer.

btw, Behinger's 2031P produces a tight window graph - but in my opinion sounds horrid and drones in the bass

Fs on my AN10 Super stamped frame samples ran around 49Hz

I would like to hear their 12s

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Probably because i use the Reckhorn xover, to match levels between the AN12 and Goldwood 18's all I am using to match levels between them is level controls of the Reckhorn outputs and the volume control at about the 9'oclock level on my modded Dyna SCA35. I suspect the miniDSP will bring alot more precision to everything and might try out some other amps. Currently using a B&K ST140 on the Goldwoods. I hear only positive benefits in relieving the AN12's of bass below 70Hz. The Goldwoods in H frame are wonderful!

Freddi here's an idea for you. Your AN10 in a minimal baffle - think mini monitor size here just big enough to hold it in place that with your Reckhorn taking off the lows as in anything under 100Hz more or less and then the 18" covering the bottom end. If all you have is a small room and the AN10's have to be close to the wall just dampen the back wave as best you can. You might be pretty happy once you get it dialed in. It may not be perfect but it will certainly be FUN.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.