Help tuning my FE127e fullrange ref MLTL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thats very interesting. I think what I will do is to remove any stuffing in the box and listen again. Now I actualy added the stuffing in the first palce because they were overly bright and I though that it might help a bit. But what I might also try is removing some of the felt and see does that help teh bass a bit.

Dave/dublin78 could you tell me - when you have music with a lot of bass energy at a good level can you feel any air movement through the ports? I say this because I felt almost none, whereas with the 3-D horn design I feel loads. This could be a reason.

Fran

This is the inside back of my fonkens - Dave do you think that theres too much padding in there. I glued it on with some contact adhesive but I'm sure I could get one of the kids hands in there to pull back out some. What do you think??
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Now, I'm thinking I should be able to feel some air movement from the ports.,.....

Fran

I've been living with the JX92S in a 0.25 ft^3 sealed enclosure for a while now and I really like them. I still need to try these aperiodic. The bass the JX92S can produce is surprising. One thing I noticed right away was that they are not as engaging as the FX120 or FE127E. I think it is the metal cone that I am not accustomed to ... yet. Depending on my mood, the FE127E can become fatiguing. I'm not sure which I prefer more, The FX120 with Tube amp or the JX92S with chip amp.

One thing that I did find with the JX92S is that I needed BSC to be happy.

planet10 said:
We will build the 3D spiral/TL just to see how it does ... which brings up the JX92 -- are jkeny's from the recent group buy? So far i am having a hard time warming up to mine.

woodturner-fran said:
The jordans are not from the group buy, AFAIK, jkeny bought them a few years back. Very smooth presentation and no need for BSC with them. He is pretty happy I think.

gmilitano: How would you describe the difference between the FE127E and the FX120?

Fran: I would tidy up some of that lining. I would not put any near the mouth of the vents.

With regard to your previous question, yes there is significant air movement coming from my tube vent, but it is very different to your multi-vents.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
gmilitano said:
To my ears, the FX120 is more laid back and also more detailed than the FE127E. It is a large improvement and for me, the FX120 is well worth the extra cost.

We did FX120 vrs FE127eN on the weekend. FX120 is smoother than FE127eN, it doesn't have the 127s rough edges. The EnABLed driver has more detail and a deeper soundstage (similar improvements over the stock FE127e). If the FX120 gains the same way the FE127eN gains over the FE127e, it should be a real killer -- i also have F120A here, need boxes for them.

I'm not sure about the JX92 (same batch as Gio's). So far they haven't gotten me very excited.

If the relative T/S measures pan out i should be able to get another 15-20Hz on the bottom out of these 2 (looks like FX120 & F120A should fit into the same box)

dave

We are going slightly off thread here, but I will move it back later, as I want to get these MLTLs as right as possible.

gmilitano and Dave: This is very interesting about the FX120, and F 120A. Has anyone tried a set of Cantare Veravox 5s, 5x? These drivers have similar characteristics, and similar Vas, the FE127E and the Cantares are usefully more efficient @93db.

http://www.solen.ca/pdf/veravox/veravox5s.pdf
http://www.hifisound.de/oxid/oxid.p...7208ae9.33057612/VERAVOX-5s-FULLRANGE--PAPER/
http://www.solen.ca/pdf/veravox/veravox5x.pdf

Having followed the spawn of frugal horn threads with interest, I was always been left wandering why someone would spend all the time effort, and money on wood and finishes only to install a $45 driver (apart from the obvious satisfaction of maximsing the potential of the Fe127E).

Yes, I neglected to mention that the FX120 is very smooth and has a very flat response. Another thing to consider is that Xmax of the FX120 is 2 mm compared to the FE127E which is only 0.35 mm.

I looked long and hard at the F120A, but it is a little pricey for me. I will be interested to read your comments on the sound of the F120A especially in comparison to the FX120. The one thing that I don't like about the FX120/F120A is the mounting flange which is thick and non-circular.

I have only listened to the JX92S sealed and OB, but I am thinking this might be a great driver ported or T-line. While it is more expensive than the FX120 and FE127E, keep in mind that it works very well with an inexpensive amp while the Fostex units will prefer a more expensive amp like tubes or current source.

Sorry about getting away from the topic.

Cheers,
Gio

planet10 said:

We did FX120 vrs FE127eN on the weekend. FX120 is smoother than FE127eN, it doesn't have the 127s rough edges. The EnABLed driver has more detail and a deeper soundstage (similar improvements over the stock FE127e). If the FX120 gains the same way the FE127eN gains over the FE127e, it should be a real killer -- i also have F120A here, need boxes for them.

I'm not sure about the JX92 (same batch as Gio's). So far they haven't gotten me very excited.

If the relative T/S measures pan out i should be able to get another 15-20Hz on the bottom out of these 2 (looks like FX120 & F120A should fit into the same box)

dave

dublin78 said:
I am also interested to hear the differences between stock FE127E, FE127eN, and FX120. I would miss the sensitivity of the 127s though.

Dave posted comments about all three of those drivers in post #28. I have not heard the eN.

Unless you are using a flea powered amp, the FX120 will play about as loud as the FE127E in a ported enclosure due to the limited FE127E Xmax.

Dave, dublin and others:

I got my son to feel around in at the back of the fonkens (my hand wouldn't get back there!) and tell me what he felt. From what he described some of the felt I had stuck to the back panel was loose and partially blocking the ports:clown: . I got him to take out all the felt off the back panel and ........

The bass is back!!! :D :D

Yes, now they sound pretty good. Plenty of bass and warmth with very little harshness. The BSC is still in place.

So what I need to do now is listen with valves as well as my aleph and also to a wider range of music and sources.

But for now, I'm happy!!

Thanks to all here for helping to sort it out - it was you Dublin78 who helped the penny dropped with your EQ and removing the stuffing. All the time I had been obsessing about the meaurements and was I a mm out here or there.

Fran :drink:

Fran

I am very pleased to hear your good news.

I am crazy busy at the moment with work and wedding plans, so I have not gotten round to adding a small amount of stuffing at a time to mine. I am enjoying the sound nonetheless. I need to add some stuffing to get some of the detail that was lost when I removed all the stuffing. I am sure that there is a balance.

My FE127E drivers are stock and unmodified, and they ceratainly have the harshness that everyone talks about. I have never intended to keep them as stock. Initially I was going to do Planet10s original mod (puzzlecoat etc), then the eNabling thing came along, so I hesitated.

Now I can't decide whether to get a pair of FE127eN off Dave, a pair of stock FX120, or wait for dave to eNable some FX120s. Perhaps I could be the gineau pig for FX120eN? The ultimate?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dublin78 said:
I am very pleased to hear your good news.

ditto... a good piece of info to have.

My FE127E drivers are stock and unmodified, and they ceratainly have the harshness that everyone talks about. I have never intended to keep them as stock. Initially I was going to do Planet10s original mod (puzzlecoat etc), then the eNabling thing came along, so I hesitated.

Now I can't decide whether to get a pair of FE127eN off Dave, a pair of stock FX120, or wait for dave to eNable some FX120s. Perhaps I could be the gineau pig for FX120eN? The ultimate?

FX120eN is definitly going to come.

The current pretreatment is a slightly scaled back version of the original treatment. EnABL goes on top.

The ultimate?

Probably the F120AeN.

From th data i have FX120 & F!20A will share the same boxes, but these will be a bit different than FE127

dave

gmilitano said:

Dave posted comments about all three of those drivers in post #28. I have not heard the eN.

Unless you are using a flea powered amp, the FX120 will play about as loud as the FE127E in a ported enclosure due to the limited FE127E Xmax.

indeed - as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm alternating between FX120 & FE127EN in Fonken boxes right now; both play at quite enjoyable levels on 3W of 2A3 power (the upside of small rooms is reduced power requirements)

There's no question that the FX120 can deliver deeper bass and is smoother through the upper midrange . In the Fonkens, they're certainly not quite as forward as the FE drivers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
woodturner-fran said:
do the FX120 fit right in where the FE127E were? How about the mounting holes - do they match up exactly?

Bezel is bigger & deeper and for optimum performance i think they will need a slightly larger box. (i've yet to run the numbers). They are currently sitting in a set of oddball "Fonkens" built by Jeff.

And lastly, how would you compare some of Daves enabled FE127 with a stock fx120?

I'd say that the FX120 is smoother/flatter, goes lower with more authority, but lacks the detail, depth and ability to dissappear. These last advantages are the same as the FE127eN has over the FE127 (stock), so i fully expect FX120eN to gain those same attributes when done up.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.