In-wall Mileva variant possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll start by saying that this question is part of my endless daydreaming/planning for my next project. I'm quite some distance from building or even designing anything yet, but trying to narrow my options.

Question:
Would it be feasible to adapt the Mileva design for an in-wall installation? I know there might be some (significant?) SQ sacrifices, but I'm facing WAF issues for the audio in our planned addition. I've not found much info on in-wall designs, but I'm struck by the basic dimensions of the Mileva and how generally close they are to a standard stud bay.

The new room I'm looking to outfit will be ~ 20 x 12 feet (6 x 4 m) and will have to accommodate a 5.1 system. 90% music, 10% HT. I'm expecting a single sub. Amplification for the speakers will eventually be Tripath based (tempted by the 41hz Amp9, etc), but will start with what I have on hand (audiosource Amp 1, Amp 200).

To be trite, my musical tastes are eclectic, but they are currently leaning towards Andre Segovia, Stéphane Grappelli & Django Reinhardt, Guillaume de Machaut (currently head over heels for Oxford Camerata’s recording of Messe de Nostre Dame 1996). I remain partial to the occasional George Clinton (Funkadelic/Parliament) romp and do love to break out my old 80’s hardcore vinyl (Black Flag, Husker Du, etc.) or a little retro death metal like Slayer when the wife & kids are out of the house.

The real reason for this post:
Although my wife is generally understanding, I find myself fighting a rear-guard action to avoid some jewel-cube abomination in the new space. The lady sees this as an opportunity to be rid of all “that pile of ugly stereo stuff”.

Despite some flaws in design and execution, I’ve been enjoying my 1st set of DIY speakers using the Aura NS3-193’s (PE Version) and would love to give a larger full range driver a go.

Thanks for any guidance.

Squib

PS. I have seen this thread with comments by Dave on a FE127 in-wall, and a couple of threads about the CSS FR125, but nothing about trying squeeze a Mileva or related design into a wall cavity. The search function for this forum continues to confound me. If I’ve missed something really obvious, I apologize.
thread

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sure you could put these in a wall. I wouldn't bother folding them... that would simplify them... slot port could be at the floor or up high on the wall. You'd only have one shot at getting the placement right, but these are pretty good that way.

Mileva as drawn is a little deep for standard stud walls but you could adapt for that. The reflection off the back of the cabinet wall might be a little invasive if you reduce to 3 1/2" but that is still probably easier to live with than a set of B#^$ cubes.

Can you get at the wall behind where they go or is it an outside wall?

dave

Dave,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the walls will be exterior, though I may be able to bump the framing to 2x6. It's much easier to justify to my spouse based on higher R-values than minimizing the 1st reflection, but she might just go for it.

It's good to know I'm not crazy in thinking this might work.

Squib

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
squib said:
though I may be able to bump the framing to 2x6. It's much easier to justify to my spouse based on higher R-values than minimizing the 1st reflection, but she might just go for it.

:)

That would make things a whole lot easier. And with petrol hitting a buck-twenty a litre with no end in sight, energy does need to be saved.

dave

planet10 said:

energy does need to be saved.

dave

Agreed. Our house was built in 1790 and it is not the most energy efficient structure in the neighborhood. Aside from some corn cobs in the walls, it's just horse-hair plaster and lathe between the interior and exterior. It's a small (~900 sq ft), but very porous abode. We've slowly been making improvements, but with a second child this January, we need some extra space.

OT: After talking to my wife and our builder, I think a Mileva variant is a real possibility. It seems my wife would like to hide the LCD TV as well as all evidence of an audio system. The upside is that we may increase the depth of a large wall section to allow the TV to be hidden in a cabinet when not in use. She doesn't want a big wooden box around the flat panel, so we need to make the whole area look like a design element, rather than an after-thought. After sketching up a couple of ideas, I think this option should give plenty of depth for the speakers AND allow for a well-insulated exterior wall behind the installation.

One more question (for now):
I was thinking that all things being equal, a folded design might be preferable so as to keep the driver and terminus close together (better integration). Is this correct? Some seating positions may be as close as 5 feet from the front speakers in the 5.1 system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.