Where can I get Fostex FE206ES-R from? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2008, 02:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Where can I get Fostex FE206ES-R from?

Hello

I was looking for a driver for my next project and Fostex FE206ES-R got my attention.

For a few days ive been looking in to this, and I found the recomended BLH plans and all the data on it, but the driver itself seems to be a bit dificult to find. Madisound dont seen to have it, Spectrumaudio didnt reply to my e-mail...

So, does anyone know where I could get me a pair of these beauties?
Old 20th March 2008, 02:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The FE206ES-R was a limited edition model that first appeared in 2006 for a short production run which I believe ended early last year. IIRC, only about 1,500 pairs were made.
Old 20th March 2008, 08:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok, thats why it was a bit hard to find!

I supose ill have to settle for the old 206 for now, or is there any other driver I should look for? I had the Jordan 92 in GM`S MLTL, but had to sell it after moving to a larger room.
Old 20th March 2008, 08:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Depends on what you want to do really. As you imply you've a decent sized room, you should be able to fit nice, big cabinet in.

If you want a long-path horn, the regular FE206E would be the automatic option, or the FE208ESigma wide-band unit with whatever supertweeter (suggest FT17 if budget is tight, T90a or better if it's not an issue) you fancy if you're feeling rich. Alternatively, if you wanted something simpler like a BVR, the FE207E would be the canny choice.
Old 20th March 2008, 09:23 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Don't be surprised if there are a few pairs available second-hand - either from folks who jumped on the initial offering and just never got around to using them (i.e. drivers will be NIB), or builders who've been forced to down-size their systems. These drivers will likely be well broken in, which is a factor not to be underestimated with most of the larger more sensitivity Fostex drivers.

A buddy of mine fits in the latter category - I've heard the speakers, along with one of the bullet tweeters, in the recommended BLH cabinets. These cabinets are the size of a small fridge and certainly no lighter, and in the right room (i.e. appropriate listening position for the system to fully integrate) they do sound fabulous.
Old 20th March 2008, 09:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Im thinking on building a BLH. Id rather go without the tweeter. Not a huge fan of Xo`s. Ill probaply go for the regular 206.

Has anyone tryed the regular 206 in the ES-R BLH? What about these double horns? Better?
Old 20th March 2008, 09:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb
Don't be surprised if there are a few pairs available second-hand - either from folks who jumped on the initial offering and just never got around to using them (i.e. drivers will be NIB), or builders who've been forced to down-size their systems. These drivers will likely be well broken in, which is a factor not to be underestimated with most of the larger more sensitivity Fostex drivers.

A buddy of mine fits in the latter category - I've heard the speakers, along with one of the bullet tweeters, in the recommended BLH cabinets. These cabinets are the size of a small fridge and certainly no lighter, and in the right room (i.e. appropriate listening position for the system to fully integrate) they do sound fabulous.
Id be more than happy to buy a used pair!!!
Old 20th March 2008, 09:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spedmetal
Im thinking on building a BLH. Id rather go without the tweeter. Not a huge fan of Xo`s. Ill probaply go for the regular 206.

Has anyone tryed the regular 206 in the ES-R BLH? What about these double horns? Better?

If by "these double horns", you mean the SPAWN series of Nagaoka style or mBVR enclosures (is that like mmmm..Donuts? ) Scott quite likely has some listening experience to at least some version with a 206.
Old 20th March 2008, 09:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spedmetal

Id be more than happy to buy a used pair!!!

I'll forward your interest to my friend.
Old 20th March 2008, 10:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb

If by "these double horns", you mean the SPAWN series of Nagaoka style or mBVR enclosures (is that like mmmm..Donuts? ) Scott quite likely has some listening experience to at least some version with a 206.

Sorry, Im a dumass! Yes I ment the BVR. The Nagaoka seems a little too big for me. So what`s the difference to the recomended Fostex BLH?

Hide this!Advertise here!