Getting started: choice of first project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2008, 07:35 AM   #1
schro20 is offline schro20  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Getting started: choice of first project

I've been reading quite a bit here (boy! Is there lots of info here!) and all over the web about various single driver projects. There is a bewildering set of choices and often contradictory advice. I also notice that some of the projects have dates which are quite old and wonder whether they are outdated.

Having said that, is there such a thing as the top 10 of recommended starter projects? (better top 5! )

What am I looking for? I am assuming right from the start that I will likely end up going through several designs and probably several drivers before finding my own sweet spot. So starting with something that doesn't take too much wood working is probably a good idea for me. Also something that starts with drivers that are not too expensive. (Say, < 200$ for the pair of drivers; I did notice that there seem to be some interesting projects that use even 40$ type drivers; great! that much the better in terms of building multiple designs and comparing them head to head.)

In terms of the music I listen too. Not classic, not hard rock. Lots of lounge, chill, female vocals, Boss-nova, nu-jazz, but also the (very!) occasional acid trance and trip-hop. (If the speakers do only a certain range of things.... fine. I don't expect them to be the end-all on the first go around.)

Things I have looked at and wondered about:

- a couple of JX92S projects (I am thinking I don't want to go with JX92S on the first go around because of the price, but I like the shapes): Tobler-ONE at http://www.diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Tobler-ONE and the MLTQWP speaker at http://www.pmillett.com/jx92s.htm

- MarkII from Planet_10 http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...127-FS-Mk2.pdf

- Buschhorn MK2 http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...chhorn-Mk2.gif

- Mileva/Demetri from Planet_10 (the latter has 3 possible drivers mentioned... how do I decide?)

I appreciate your patience with a noob eager to learn and experiment.

peter
Old 14th March 2008, 10:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you're as unskilled in woodwork as me, the Needles are an option:

Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S

Cheap, pretty, and easy.
Old 14th March 2008, 11:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to musgofasa
One good project seems to be the BIBs. I don't think I have heard any negative feedback on these hardly at all. Super easy build and you can put just about any driver in them.

They are tall though. If you are looking for more WAF, perhaps a Fonken Floorstander (no angles and easy construction as well. It also works well with a pretty inexpensive driver)

Lots of things might make good first projects. I would suggest simply to stay away from anything that might still be under development until after you build one or two because until you have that experience, you might not know where to start tinkering with experimental designs. That's one reason I suggested the BIB. There have been LOTS of them built and most of the variables to make them better are "known".

Keep us posted on what you decide to try.

Take care,
Robert
Old 14th March 2008, 10:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by musgofasa
One good project seems to be the BIBs. I don't think I have heard any negative feedback on these hardly at all. Super easy build and you can put just about any driver in them.
I looked at the BIB site. Indeed this seems very easy. I am surprised that such few parameters can do well in describing the speakers.

There was one thing I found confusing. At the bottom of http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-howtobuild.asp it talks about how to use the stuffing to "shape" the frequency response:

"When stuffing your BIB you want to hear frequencies from approximately 300Hz down."

Meaning what? I should hope to hear also frequencies above...

What is meant with that sentence? Where am I supposed to listen for the frequencies from 300Hz down? Will they only start appearing once i stuff? (something tells me the answer is likely obvious, but I just don't understand what I am supposed to do...)

peter
Old 14th March 2008, 10:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thats 300hz and down as heard from terminus which is upward facing on a standard BiB. Out-front all is well
I found building a pair of BiBs to be very rewarding.

7/10
Old 14th March 2008, 10:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schro20

"When stuffing your BIB you want to hear frequencies from approximately 300Hz down."
I think I just found the answer. Ideally only 300Hz and below should come out the top. Stuff until this is the case.

Is that understanding correct?

peter
Old 14th March 2008, 10:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to musgofasa
Yup,

The speaker on the front can play all frequencies as you will most likely use a full range driver. The whole point of the enclosure is to reinforce the bass frequencies. You wouldn't want the high frequencies coming out the top end of the box and muddying up the sound in the room. The bass frequencies are more omni-directional and need some support to be loud enough to be even with the higher frequencies that the driver can play on it's own.

Hence, a good benchmark is to play a tone generator through the system and stuff the enclosure until you really don't hear anything coming out of the "mouth" of the horn except the stuff below 300 hz. Of course, I believe this could be subjective as some people likely prefer more or less, but that is what makes the tweaking fun is finding what works best for your taste and your room

Take care,
Robert
Old 17th March 2008, 06:36 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Getting started: choice of first project

Quote:
Originally posted by schro20
- MarkII from Planet_10 http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL...127-FS-Mk2.pdf
- Buschhorn MK2 http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL...chhorn-Mk2.gif
- Mileva/Demetri from Planet_10 (the latter has 3 possible drivers mentioned... how do I decide?)
I have just started sending out an updated version of the FS Mk II document (adding a couple more options to the same basic build)

Buschhorn is a quite old design. For about the same amount of effort a Frugel-Horn Level 0 is a better box (and gets better as you go to levels 1, 2, 3)

The Pioneer B20 likely works in the Demetri as well... if you are going to consider B20 (with options open to upgrade drivers later, G Chang, Curvy Chang, and particularily for a 1st project Half-Chang are good candidates

Nothing will produce bottom like a BIB, but you end up with a very large box and trade the bass for more ripple in the midrange than designs that don't try to extract as much bass.

dave
Old 17th March 2008, 12:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Thank you. Very useful. I had not looked at the Changs.

On a related note: what is required to take measurements after the build? I will use my ears, but I also want to take actual measurements as I go through design iterations (stuffing, different drivers, etc.). I see a lot of diagrams shown, some of which come from simulation but others from measurement. Though I don't seem to find much info on how to set up a reasonably cost effective measurement setup. I figured a good mic and the right software ought to be one path. Or maybe even just a Radio Shack SPL meter?

Any advice on how to do this? I want to compare the simulations with the measurements.

Peter
Old 18th March 2008, 05:35 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

A Radio Shack meter and a 1/3 octave pink noise CD will give reasonable results without sending you to the poorhouse.

The warble tone Cd works well also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2BSI%26otn%3D4

Hide this!Advertise here!