Finished my BIB horns with FE168 sigmas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I was thinking of the smaller Fostex

My largest collet is 1/4 in. There's a finer one than that for
using the zip tool as a saw-- no kidding-- I've done this. But on surface cuts, I can't turn the corner with a larger diameter bit. I use the pencil line around the driver and then hog out the waste. To clean up the shallow curvature just for looks I'd need a real shallow curved chisel. Scoring and then cutting won't work.

Yeah, maybe a better bit than one that came from you-know-where.

;)

Still, I have to look at the overall expense.

Maybe a router will turn up on Freecycle-- everything else does.

chrisb said:
Lon - I guess I was thinking "full size" router, but it sounds like you're talking a Roto-zip or Dremel sized device - they would certainly have their limitations on larger speaker cabinets.

Too true. But I cannot have real shop tools in an apartment here.

The Rotozip clone can do some of these small jobs but I don't do them too often. I got the idea from a Canadian guy who was using one to finish off his BK16 kit.

The one I have has a router base, circle jig, laminate doo-hickey (which I've never tried) and a straight edge attachment and some other stuff. The whole works was about $20 on deal. No more than $30.

planet10 said:

Akthough not as pretty perhaps as doubling the back wall, the "exoskeleton" approach should be much more effective.

dave

I totally agree with you !
BIBs seem very simple to make but it is not the case, you get a lot a vibrations on front, internal and back panels.
And also, the higher 1/3 of the sides vibrate.

I used pieces of kite carbon tubes, it works but I think it is better to anticipate as per your "exoskeleton" techniques :jap:

And in my dreams, I redo my BIB with double thickness internal bafle filled with sand :)

Hi gnugear,

I have had a pair of FE168EZ waiting for me to build them into something for two years. Since I now appear to have a week or two off work I would like to build them into BIBs. I am not an expert woodworker and don't want a deep cabinet so the BIB sounds ideal.

The problem is Zilla appears to have disappeared or at least his website and the various calculators etc. One hopes Zilla is ok.

Could you share the design files with me for the 168EZ BIB?

Cheers!

Hi Jeff,

After debating designs for my FE168EZ with a loudspeaker building friend here in Singapore I decided to go for a Ceinwyn Chang instead of a BIB in the end. They both look like great designs but I think the aesthetics of the Chang will work better in my apartment.

I'll post some photos when I get them finished, hopefully later this week.

There's a thread somewhere about the Ceinwyn and I hope I can learn a bit about optimum stuffing of this particular Chang.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.